DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 shooting\film\shutter problem

bluetom

Hello!
I'm having problems with my G2.

Occasionally,without an obvious reason, the film kinda skips. Basically, if a normal shot looks like a rectangle, when seen on film, here the vertical sides of the shot are tilted 45 degrees, as though the shutter and film winding were operating at the same time. The freak shot overlaps on to the next one. Not only this, but sometimes it seems the shutter doesn't work at all.
I'm shooting with a standard single-shot mode with sAF. This happens on both 28mm and 45mm lens.

What could this problem be connected with, and how could one fix it?

I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Hi Bluetom

This sounds strange. Are there any sounds or noises the camera makes? I am having problems with overlapping frames with another camera but it has manual film forwarding, so it could be that I inserted the film not correctly.

Cheers,
Milos

Thanks for replying.

The camera does make all sorts of noises, but they all seem (sound, rather) normal. I can't quite grasp the reason for such behavior, cause the shots where it does that have hardly anything in common.

I am planning to shoot a film at home and take a note on each shot made and sounds produced by the camera.

Methinks it is smthing to do with the shutter.

Need a master-man, or some kind of a worshop or a contax-support center.

what bout ur camera? how do the shots overlap?
maybe a native problem with the winding mechanism

Hi Bluetom

I would not say it is a general problem with the winding mechanism since there are many cameras out there which work just fine. And there is also the difference of my winding being manual and yours automated/electrical. I guess that it is rather the manual, that fails because to much pressure is put on it. On the other hand, it might be the electrical that fails, because some sensors quit working.

The problem with my camera is that the film is not advanced properly so the last few shots of a roll (let's say the last 5) overlap eachother by some 30%. So you basically got one shot right, the next is partly on the first shot, partly on the next. I cannot remember where I put those shots but that's how I remembered the film after it came back from developing.

After reading your initial posting again, I guess it might be something with the shutter. Perhaps the shutter is traveling at a wrong speed or it is not opening quite enough. I am not sure what kind of shutter the G2 has, whether it is vertical or horizontal or how the shutter blades travel (in which direction), but perhaps you can have a look at the shutter while exposing let's say for 2 seconds and removing the lens so you can look inside the camera? That could help you analysing the problem, I guess. This is how I found out why my RX does not work properly (the mirror slid down the holder and when it should flip up, the mirror blocked the mechanism from going all the way up because it touched something inside the camera and prevented itself from travelling). :)

Cheers,
Milos

Back