CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Is it worth buying a Contax RX?

beethamd

Jeffery,
The RXII came about because Contax were having problems sourcing a key component used in the depth-of-field assist feature on the RX. The RXII is just an RX without that feature.

Is the Aria letting you down, photographically, is some way? I have the Aria and three Yashica FX-3s. The Aria doesn't get used much because I just love that FX3. The Aria just has spot metering over the Yashica, but I'm not sure that the RXII would give you that much more than extra weight compared with the Aria.

David.

rico

Jeffery,

You might consider the used market. During the last year, I assembled a C/Y kit for a fraction of new. No way must you pay $2000 for a fully operational RTSIII. Should C/Y be discontinued, parts and repair will be available for years. I bought a NIB 139Q off eBay - really, zero shutter actuations. You won't believe what people stuff in their closets!

I handled the RX only briefly, but firing a frame is remarkably quiet (betters the Aria). RX weight helps to balance heavier lenses: 500g on the front of an Aria makes it tippy.

B

brunom

Hi,
The RX II is available in France for 1400 Euros
Hope it helps...

franco65

> Hello Jeffery, If you are interested in an Rx it seems that Smile Photo in NY has some new ones ( Direct import). I buy from time to time from them and they are reliable. Best Regards Franco

type your text here!

jsmith45

So far, the Aria has served me very well. If the Yashicas were still available, I'd probably buy two of them as backup bodies. My only "gripe" about the Aria is that I've discovered that I often accidentally change settings on it when doing "frenzied" photography (sports or wildlife), particularly accidentally resetting the exposure compensation lever.

jsmith45

There are several NIB RX's on ebay, but I have gotten stung enough times on ebay to be leery with anything that expensive.

planar

Jeffery as David mentioned the RX II is the same camera but minus the DFI but a brighter screen.
It has been on sale in the UK since April and they have reduced the price by £100 to £799 from the RX Mark 1 There is no problem with supplies in the UK check on the UK site
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Regards Bob

O

ou1954

>Posted by Jeffery Smith (Jsmith45) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 5:24 pm: > >So far, the Aria has served me very well. If the Yashicas were still >available, I'd probably buy two of them as backup bodies. My only >"gripe" about the Aria is that I've discovered that I often >accidentally change settings on it when doing "frenzied" photography >(sports or wildlife), particularly accidentally resetting the exposure >compensation lever.

Hi,

I'm still using my original demo (gold plated base, for dealers, supposedly), and have not used an Aria, however the RTS has a flag which shows in the viewfinder whenever the exposure compensation is moved from 1 (zero compensation). Is this feature missing from the Aria?

DAW

D

dja

---Jeffery as David mentioned the RX II is the same camera but minus the DFI but a brighter screen.---

Not to say it's a bad thing or even accurate for that matter, but I saw an ad in a British photo magazine indicating the RXII has a polycarbonate frame. The "old" RX of course has an alloy frame and almost zero plastic components. FWIW.

David

colin

While your results may vary, I would be very careful with Smile Photo in NY. They are one of the biggest "bait and switch" operators around. (read some of the write-ups on the net). I purchased an item from them once; it was described as "new", but in reality was very,very, used. They gave me a $5.00 refund!!!
Colin

wilsonlaidlaw

Some two years ago when various of the children had walked off with my Yashicas and my 139Q was reaching the stage when it should become a spare body rather than the main tool, I decided to buy an RX. This is a decision I have never regretted for a moment since. The five main USP's which attracted me to the RX were: 1) The ability to use my various CZ lenses 2) The all metal construction 3) The digital focus assist 4) The DOF indication in the viewfinder and 5) the very quiet, well d&ed mirror action. From recent posts, it would seem that the RXII has deleted items 2 and 4 and downgraded item 5. Simultaneously the price seems to have gone up by about EUR 200. Overall, if this is true, it sounds like an attack of the cost accountants and should, therefore, deserve to succeed as well as all such ventures. It is now the third most expensive 35mm SLR after the RTSIII and Leica R8/9, with little to recommend it other than CZ lenses and the digital focus assist. Do I think they will sell many - no. The only upside is that it will probably increase the value of secondhand RX 1 cameras. Wilson

swoolf

Overall, if this is> true, it sounds like an attack of the cost accountants and should,> therefore, deserve to succeed as well as all such ventures

To be fair , Kyocera were no longer able to source the components for the digital focus assist , and that is why the RX2 came about in the first place . Other than that it is supposed to be much the same camera - also , on other lists many users have said they never bothered with the DFI anyway....... Steve

J

jerzy

I don't use DFI as a focus assist, but quite often I use "depth of field scale" - which is helpful. Sometimes view darkened by "normal" depth-of-field button is simply too dark for me.
Buying an RX was a very good decision for me!

Jerzy

kgardas

> The five main USP's which attracted me to the RX were: 1) The ability to > use my various CZ lenses 2) The all metal construction 3) The digital > focus assist 4) The DOF indication in the viewfinder and 5) the very > quiet, well d&ed mirror action. From recent posts, it would seem that > the RXII has deleted items 2 and 4 and downgraded item 5. Simultaneously > the price seems to have gone up by about EUR 200. Overall, if this is > true, it sounds like an attack of the cost accountants and should, > therefore, deserve to succeed as well as all such ventures.

Wilson,

reading RXII pressrelease, I've thought that even point 3 has gone. In addition I remember that the cost went down and not up as you think. I'm still curious about rumors that the RXII shutter is not the same as in the original RX, but is copied from Aria and so different with different sound level... Is there anybody here how owns both RXx bodies?

Cheers,

Karel

lwang

> I must agree with the previous posts supportive of the RX. The RX > has the most vibration-free shutter/mirror action (very important in > obtaining vibration-free photos) I have experienced in using various > manual focus SLR's over 30 years. My primary point of reference is > the Olympus OM series, which was notably compact - the slightly > heavier RX (versus flyweight OM-1 and OM-4) is a joy to use and > perfect for my style of shooting and exposure adjustment. > I meter exposure by leaving the camera on +1 exposure compensation > (on aperture or shutter priority auto-exposure) and then taking a > meter reading off the palm of the hand not holding the camera, then > lock exposure (using the exposure lock/on/off switch) with the index > finger of the hand holding the camera - very convenient/ergonomic to > do with the RX (and perhaps other Contax cameras as well, though I > recall reading that the exposure lock switch on the Aria feels > different and not necessarily better - I will leave Aria users to > provide comment in this regard. The Contax Y/C lenses I have used have been nothing short of spectacular!