DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

Leica has come out with a rangefinder digital camera, The Digilux 1. I tried in NYC at a digital workshop and didn't like it nearly as much as the higher rated Canon G1 I own. I would love a G3 that uses the existing lenses, or a T series digital. I am not sure a T type digital will be able to improve much on the Canon G2.

I wondered why Contax didn't come out with the G series digital first with existing lenses rather than having to create an entirely new system with lenses and bodies. Perhaps there are technical reasons that making a digital G is too difficult. Does anyone know about this stuff.

By the way Rollei is coming out with a fixed zoom 530flex Digital for the professional market at over 5 million pixels. It uses the 2/3" chip, which they say works well in low light, so it has only a 100 ASA setting. In response to my question they wrote, "We expect to see the 530 in late september or early october. The camera has a 2/3 inch chip that has a 9 micron pixel size. This allows us to produce very clean files and product images in extremely low light. There does not appear to be any major problems from the ISO 100 speed." I do not own am not pushing Rollei, but mentioned it for technical comparison. I would be interested in people's comments.

> > > > I think the Digilux 1 looked like a rangefinder but it is not a rangefinder by > all means, to be it is too plastic, too big and the fact if only accept SD > card limit its own market. > Brgds/kaisern > >

"I wondered why Contax didn't come out with the G series digital first with existing lenses rather than having to create an entirely new system with lenses and bodies."

There will be no G-digital this year. The reason is above all the design of the 16 and 21mm etc. lenses. Wideangle lenses like these cannot transmit properly to any CCD at present time, it would require new type of CCD or change rear of lens element defeating the whole object.

You can expect that Contax will find a solution, but it will take time.

"I think it would be a great boon for Contax if they could design a digital rangefinder body that could be used as a base for a p&s (like a TVS or T3). "

As announced already in the "news folder" in this forum there will be a TVS digital at the photokina introduced. It will be in the shelves probably November/December this year.

Dirk

Dirk,

Do you think that the 16mm and 21mm lenses will be able to transmit to the new Foveon Chip that has been discussed in the press this past year?

Howard

The Leica Digilux camera is actually a rebadged Panasonic. You can buy the Panasonic, get the same Zeiss lens and save a lot of money on the purchase price.

Jeff

> > > > To be corrected, the Digilux has a Summicron lens, not Zeiss. The Panasonic > version, to my point of view, is better made. > > Brgds/kaisern > > >

I think the G would be an exceptional system for a digital body, yes it is shame that it would not work for the 16mm and 21mm lenses, BUT the majority of systems out there are 28, 45, and 90. Putting a G2Digital on the back of these would be exceptional. I am sick of the quality that the current non-slr digitals offer, primarily because of the lenses and quality of output. If you go the slr route then again you have the bulk. Surely the G2Digital is the perfect companion to many users systems. A digital T3 is altogether a different perspective as it is a high end p&s, no less exciting though. I am looking at the Nikon 995/4500 as I like the style and quality by the way. But I may wait to see what happens with some current launches! James

> As the owner of a G1 system and also a new Digilux 1 I can assure you the Digilux is not plastic! It is quite substantial METAL camera - nice to hold in the hands. Sadly since its arrival back in mid July the G1 hasn't seen much action!

John

I also own a Digilux and it is a fine digital camera. Panasonic may have done the electronics on it (something Leica is not an expert in) but the optics are Leica. It feels like a real camera to the hand not some toy which is what my wife's Nikon 5000 feels like to me. Seems to me most of the Digilux bashing here has been made by people who never used one.

Back