DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

A larger, brighter viewfinder, even if it made the camera profile taller.

Panasonic/Leica Digital Cameras:They have Canon lenses,that´s it.Look at dpriview.com or digitalkamera.de and search "Canon lens".
Wondering about some further funny/silly comments.On which planet you are living?

1) Big, bright finder - like the 16 or 21mm would be fine, except high eye point. 2) Spot meter. 3) Focus lock as convenient as the exposure lock.

Anything else would be icing on the cake. I'd buy this 'G3' in an instant.

Dan

Hi Shawn,

if it´s digital and compatible to my G lenses, i.e. 24x36mm sensor, I´d buy it :).

Volker
P.S.: is love a reason? I think I´m in love with a Leica M7 since I tried one at the Photokina. It just feels good :)

If I understand correctly, the present generation of digital sensors won't work with our G wide angles (Biogons and Hologon), or the zoom due to their intrusion into the camera.

Brand L's position on a Digital M is contained here:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/004f.shtml

For a film-based G3 I'd like many of the features already mentioned, as well as:
* a finder that accommodates the 21mm
* English/metric distance readout
* focus distance displayed in the finder
* a wireless remote
* a lug on the lower right of the body (viewed from the rear) to accommodate a hand strap
* backlighting for the top displays
* a different approach to manual focus than that used on the G2 (I'm not sure what, I just don't like the current system with its goofy row of viewfinder dots and which leaves the lens in park position)

--Rick

Ha Ha!

This is an easy one!

OK.....

G2 Bad: annoying bright green light from data display in viewfinder. Fix: Illuminator on/off switch, and more discreet display
G2 Bad: Annoying little viewfinder. Fix: Leica style viewfinder, with visual type interface to show what is in focus (like the little rangefinder patch)
G2 Bad: Noisy autofocus. Fix: Ultrasonic motors in lens (I know, it would necessitate a new G mount, but what a hell of a camera you would have)
G2 Bad: manual focus system. Fix: Ideally, a fulltime manual option. The engineering would be tough, you could leapfrog Leica's mechanical rangfinder coupling, by using electronic coupling like Canon has. Or you could have a lens mount that couples mechanically, but that also has an electronic option for AF. There are solutions and the G2 is a camera with awesome lenses but a very poor user interface.

G2 bad: battery hog. I don't need a motor. They should really just make an all manual G2 with the zeiss lenses and be done with it!

I live in Japan, and I can tell you I really know how maddening it is to try and get them to see things in a different light. I am sure that at least 80% of you would be thrilled to the stars with an all manual G3, with the current range of Zeiss lenses, but will Kyocera have the imagination to do it? Perhaps they could team up with Cosina and do it. Cosina rangefinders are nice, but the cameras are a little chintzy.

Claude,

1. "G2 Bad: Noisy autofocus. Fix: Ultrasonic motors in lens (I know, it would necessitate a new G mount, but what a hell of a camera you would have)"

The last thing I want is for Contax is to change their lens mount; I do not want to scrap my investment in lens, or spend money to retrofit my existing lenses.

2. Do you really believe that Contax will upgrade the G-2 film camera? Do you think that Nikon will develop a film successor to their F-5 or Canon to their EOS-1? The camera world is moving to digital. I hope Contax is working on developing a digital G-2 camera that uses current G-2 lenses, with full 35mm frame digital sensors, 11 -15mm + megapixels,etc.

Howard

I agree. I like having autofocus at times but I would really go for an = all manual camera which would work with the existing lenses. It could be = an additional model - a supplement to the present system. In view of the = success of the Voightlander model, the concept might be commercially = viable as well as a very nice thought.

John =20

As for me I would love to have a lens similar to Leica's Tri_Elmar.

24-50-90 would be fine

Back