DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Looking for a GOOD lens for my Nikon D7200

Major Jack

I do a lot of Sports, Airshows, and Panorama photography. I have pretty basic Zoom lens 200-400 without stability, and just does not give me sharp photographs, at least not to my liking. So, I am looking for recommendations to upgrade, without breaking the bank with a $3,000 lens. I would like to stay in the 400mm range, but would like recommendations on something with image stabilization also, and a little better lens quality. Any recommendations?? F Mount.

I do a lot of Sports, Airshows, and Panorama photography. I have pretty basic Zoom lens 200-400 without stability, and just does not give me sharp photographs, at least not to my liking. So, I am looking for recommendations to upgrade, without breaking the bank with a $3,000 lens. I would like to stay in the 400mm range, but would like recommendations on something with image stabilization also, and a little better lens quality. Any recommendations?? F Mount.
I had the Sigma 150-600mm g2 lens which is fairly light and excellent optics and is weather resistant, it served me well.

It would be good to know exactly what current lens you have.

The lack of VR is not affecting your sports and airshow images. The unacceptable images are either the lens, your technique, or both.

Consider the Nikon 80-400 VR G. Specifically the "G" lens with several improvements over the original VR.

Alternatively use your zoom for zooming and add a Nikon 300/4 AF-S or 300/4 AF-S VR PF. Either can be used with a TC-14E III to provide a 400mm f5.6 lens.

I would be looking for one of the superzooms from Nikon, Sigma or Tamron. I think any of these would be good.

I have the Nikon 200-500 that works well on my D7200 and D500. Quality wise it’s very close to my Nikon 500 PF. Just bear in mind that these lenses are large and heavy. For an air show you might need a monopod.

Last edited:
I use my Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6 on D7200, D500 and D850 and am very happy with it. So my my AF-S 300mm f/2.8 G ED VR II with 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters stays home most of the time. At its long end the 200-500 is just as good as 300 x 2 also f/5.6 and only slightly shorter. The zoom is less weighty and and zooming quicker than putting in or taking out a TC. City view comparisons are still viewable in my zurich gallery at DPReview (user: Bernard Delley ) cannot post link for now

I have a D7200. I shoot mainly landscapes but I got a 70-300 DX Nikon lens for the odd time I might need telephoto. It might not be the quality or range you are looking for but has VR, is light and not pricey. Here is a picture I took at 300 mm (450 mm full-frame equivalent).

02Dec20 Weaselhead3sm.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D7200
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 2500

If using for sport rather than wildlife, and thus want to stay in the 400mm range. Take a look at the 100-400mm lenses from Sigma or Tamron. Even for wildlife (other than small birds) I would consider either of the 100-400s as a good choice on an APS-C DSLR.

Back