DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Epson Rangefinderimplications for Digital G

Yes. A full frame sensor would be nice, but I certainly would be happy with a APS size or even 4/3 size sensor. I'm not sure a lens redesign is necessary -- but they might want to add an additional wide angle to give the equivelent angle of view of a 21mm lens with the smaller sensor size (another Biogon?). This would preserve some of the attractiveness of the G cameras -- the wide angle lenses.

Where do I put my name down for a digital G3? As and when (and if) they ever bring one out, I hope they have got their licence for Pictbridge printing standard sorted out. I am very disappointed that my new SL300R is not Pictbridge compatible, so I cannot print direct to the new generation of portable dye sublimation printers such as the Cannon CP300 or the Sony DPP EX5 without a PC in the loop. These would just great for going on holiday. Wilson

I just saw pictures of the Epson "M" series digital and it looks somehwat like a black Contax G2. I wonder how difficult it would be for Epson to market a Contax G mount version of this camera? Any thoughts? Check www.dp-now.com

Hello Stan,
Wouldn't the electronic contacts and the auto focusing of the G lenses be a problem here? It's a lovely thought though but I understand that the Epson will be very expensive.
John

John, Yes, I don't really think it will work unless Epson made some internal modifications. I was just hoping something like this for the G2 could happen. Perhaps a digital back for the G2 is more realistic but still unlikely. I have a Digilux 2 and really like it, but I do miss using the

Hi Stan,
A digital back for the G2 would be lovely or a digital G3 to take our existing lenses. We live in hope.
How do you find the electronic viewfinder on the Digilux 2?
I tried to test one in a local shop but they wouldn't put batteries in it because then it would not be saleable as new and would be a demonstrator!
Cheers,
John

Hi John,

I bought the Digilux 2 on an impulse from a dealer I trust the day before a three week trip to Germany. Actually I traded an X-Pan system that I don't use anymore for it. I shoot mainly scenery and architecture, not people much or sports. I was a little dubious about the electronic viewfinder at first, but soon became comfortable with it. I shot mainly in automatic focus with spot metering. Also, with the large LCD screen I found myself even using the LCD. With either one you can get a grid pattern for architecture and the histogram, which I found useful. I found that with the larger LCD and the ability to zoom and crop in the camera, I had more confidence as to the results I was getting. I was surprised at the camera's effectiveness in low light cathedrals and even wide open, there appeared to be pretty good depth of field. If I were seriously using this camera for architectural stuff, I would slow down and use a tripod, but this was just a pleasure trip. I found the camera a real treat to use all around and was pleased with the results.

Hi Stan,
Thanks for that. It's interesting to hear an opinion from someone who has used the camera in real conditions. It sound pretty good. I had been wondering about it as I think it would be very convenient, having just returned from a holiday in Portugal carting a bag of lenses about.
Cheers,
John

Hi John, I would also check out the Panasonic version for about $300 less. I "think" it's identical and the all black version is very appealing. I haven't been able to determine if the menu system and features are the same, but I would assume they are. Other than online sellers, I cannot find a dealer who handles it in the San Francisco Bay

Thanks Stan, I will check out the Pansonic. I'll see if I can find some reviews.
Cheers,
John

Back