DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Pb with OM2 SP

fronin

Hola a todos from Bilbao,
I got an OM-2S which works well except... the mirror doesn't go all the way up when fired. All the rest seem correct.
Does anyone know of such a problem and if there is an easy way to check what's wrong. I'm afraid servicing it would be more expensive than its actual worth (if there are still places to do it...).
thanks
François

Replace the batteries. Do NOT use alkaline batteries. Yous silver-oxide batteries, SR44 type. Nearly spent or alkaline batteries can cause this symptom.

> Parts are very limited for the 2S. It may need a new mirror mechanism.

___________________________________ John Hermanson Camtech Photo Services, Inc. 21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743 631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977 http://www.zuiko.com | omtech1 AT verizon.net

[My OM 2sp just froze. The Mirror is up, the Shutter wont fire and the = film advance will not work. Cant advance the shutter ring into manual = and B range. Batteries are fine though and the meter etc works fine = too. Anybody for parts? The body etc are ex.]

> [No need for parts probably. Just do a reset (Check-Reset on the > auto/manual key on top left). It happened to me twice. Richard > Waldron]

> If mirror is all the way up, try new silver oxide batteries first. Make sure all bottom cover screws are tight. To go into mechanical B/60 shutter speeds, you first have to turn ring to "1", then press and hold tiny "B Lock" button next to sync socket as you turn ring the rest of the way. If this is just a conventional lockup from dead batteries, shutter should reset as you turn the ring into mechanical zone. If it doesn't reset or mirror is only partway up, then you have other problems. John CPS, www.zuiko.com

Thank you John and to you all who answered. Batteries are new, all manual speed works normally etc etc... I'm afraid I got a "hardware" problem with the mirror mechanism. It stops before reaching the top position et about 2/3 of the way and falls back normally after.
Oh well, I will look for dead OM-2SP in ebay and try to save mine although it seems a little complicated... Anyone knows if the mirror mechanisme is common between OM2SP and OM2n or OM2SP and OM4? Once in a while, there are some cadavres for sale...
If I fail, I migth have spare parts for whoever is interested...
Thanks again
François

Back