DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

HOW IS THE Zeiss 28MM F2 WIDE OPEN

Hi there!

I am quite suprised to read that the 2,0/28 is not sharp at infinity. I can only say that since I have this exciting lens I do most pics at full aperture - and no sign that there is something not really sharp. When taking available light pics this lens is a must. I cannot agree to Michael on another point: before the 2,0 I had the 2,8. When using the 2,0 at 2,8 it is better, no light fall off, and a better sharpness. So I sold the 2,8 and waited to get a 2,0.

Best regards
Wolfgang

wolfgang statement would confirm the theory that a stopped down 2.0-lens (1 stop)lens is always better than a full-open 2.8. i did never have a 2.0 but have cited from an article which i had in my mind. btw: the pc-distagon 35/2.8 is sensational full open(have shooten group of people with small flash TLA 20 on stage), so does the 85/1.4 and 35/1.4.

if the 28f2 is not sharp at infintiy at f2, then maybe zeiss believe any photographer who wan to use this lens to shoot landscape will useit at inifinity at f8 which i believe the 28f2 would be able to perform.

I think your point makes sense. I just recently bought a used 28f2.8 and looked at the 28f2 and discussed with the sales guy. I couldn't see for my use, primarily landscape work, the advantage of the extra stop since I expected to take almost all of my shots at f8 or smaller aperture. I don't expect to open up the lens much beyond f8, likely only to 5.6 since I will be using a tripod and would likely just increase the time of the shutter speed. regards Bill Gibson

I'm the one who started this about the 28mm f2. All I have to say after using this lens "if your lucky to find one Buy It!...I did my own test against my new leica 28mm f2 asph. Then I sold the leica and bought the 35 asph 1.4 . Sharpness at all distance and wide open at f2 is excellent in this zeiss slr 28mm f2 lens. The one I have is German made if this makes any diferance. One rep at Contax in New Jersey said this lens was discontinue because of It's cost to manufacture. It's on heavy side, but will constructed.. Joe

Joseph, is Contax Zeiss Distagon 2.0/28mm really sharper than LEICA Summicron R(?) 2.0/28mm ASPH??. I have asked Zeiss Oberkochen (Dr. H. Nasse) and they tell me it would be SOFT at 2.0, but no falloff in the corner. And that is also what I would expect, interpreting the MTF curves (Zeiss was so nice to send them!). The 2.8/28mm should be clearly visible sharper and better contrast @2.8 and in the middle?? How did you "test" exactly (film, print size, slides+microscope)?
48336.jpg

RAINER, MY OWN TEST WITH FUJI 50 /DELTA 100 AND MY OWN EYES. NOT THAT THE LEICA (M) 28MM WASN'T SHARP, BUT I FOUND MORE USE IN HAVING AN SLR 28MM. FOR ME IT OUT PROFORMS MY OTHER C/Y SLR 28MM 2.8. SHOOTING CLOSE UP AND USING PART OF THE FORGROUND IN THE PHOTOGRAPH WORKS WELL WITH THIS LENS. I LOVE IT WIDE OPEN JUST AS I DO THE 85MM 1.4. THE ONLY NEGITIVE IS THE WEIGHT. BUT THEN AGAIN LOOK AT WHAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING LIKE SIGMA'S 28MM 1.8.OR NIKON'S 28MM I.4. IN THAT RESPECT, IT'S A SMALL LENS! WHEN I'M HIKING THIS LENS,THE 60 S MAKRO AND THE 18MM WORK FOR ME. RAINER, HAVE YOU EVER USED THE 28 F2 BEFORE? IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT. JOE

Hello all,

I can only say what I have and seen from this lens. My is MMG, test shots were done outdoor and huge indoor shopping centre. At f2 it is designed for low light shooting, not bright scene. Both of my tests at f2 outdoor and indoor set at infinity, viewed through 15x loup, the resolution were better then my Leica 35/2 Asph at f2. Marginal light fall off at f2, gone by f2.8. My Leica 35/2 Asph light fall off is gone at f3.5. Hope this help.

Back