DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

40mm summicron on other M bodies

G

Is it true that 40mm summicron lens do not focus accurately on other M bodies aside from the Leica CL and CLE? I am sorely tempted to get one due to its miniscule size and not so expensive price but read some negative feedback on the net. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jury

I use a Summicron-C 40mm on both my CL and M6. Not any problem found so far. Focus is OK on M6. Picture is excellent from this tiny lens. The only bad point is that it is easy to flare.

Dear Jury and Walter,

I have been using the 1:2/40 Summicron lens for nearly 30 years on M2/3/4/5/6 without any focusing problems. I have also used the Minolta/Rokkor 40mm with equal success. The latter lens must have better coating as I gather the optical computation is the same. I share Williams experience and find the Summicron flares where the Rokkor does not.

Regards,

Justin

> > I have been using the 1:2/40 Summicron lens for nearly 30 years on > M2/3/4/5/6 without any focusing problems.

What do you do for framing? Use the 35mm or 50mm framelines, or do you employ an external VF?

This lens brings the 50mm frame on M6. But it is easy to modify to bring the 35mm frame.

Dear Marc,

I sometimes use a Nicca external finder, which I also use with the Tri-Elmar. I have also marked on an SBOOI finder the demarkation of the 40mm. In desparation I guess somewhere in between the 35 and the 50 frame.

Regards,

Justin

Back