DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Carl Zeiss 21mm Distagon f2.8

G

I'm thinking of acquiring this lens and wondered if anyone here had much experience with it (primarly for landscapes) and could comment helpfully on vignetting, tonal contrast, and flexibility with whatever filter system has been found to be workable.

I use a CZ 25mm Distagon f2.8 which I've learnt not to stack filters on, and wondered if any users had both they could comment on (obviously not on the perspective difference).

Cheers,

Joe99

It's a superb lens. To cite one ex&le, I recently had a B&W Tech Pan negative I shot with the lens blown up to 13" x 20" that showed an extraordinary tonal range and resolution, both in the foregound and background. Of the several Zeiss lenses I have, it's probably my favorite. I've had no problem with vignetting with the 82mm filters that fit it. I use the Contax lens shade that goes with it and I've successfully used a Singh Ray graduated filter with a Cokin filter holder.

It's an expensive lens but if you swing it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Joe,

My previous comments on this board...

http://www.contaxinfo.com/discus/board-auth.cgi?file=/14022/57510.html#POST4257

More comments of mine...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?message=4064408

My s&le image was shot at f/5.6. Based on the MTF, I would expect noticeable light fall-off at f/2.8, but I haven't tested critically. It's impressively sharp at all apertures.

The build is awesome: all metal, handles like a lead pipe, helicoid so smooth, internal focus means no rotating filter and no dust.

Let me know if you want me to shoot something for your further evaluation!

Joe,

I totally agree with the comments of the posters above. The D21 is really a superb lens, and I also think you would not be disappointed. It is simply the best lens in that focal range I have ever worked with, and these are quite a few! Its only drawback besides the price tag is its considerable weight and size, which proves the theory wrong that using fixed focals would keep your photo bag light!
As I mainly shoot architecture, I appreciate very much that the D21's distortion is amazingly well correctet - but keep in mind, we speak of a very WIDE angle lens (you cannot reasonably compare distortion or light fall-off to an excellent 28 or 35). But in these aspects the D21 seems nearly on a par with the D25, at least with the s&le that I used to own. In terms of sharpness and contrast it is far better.
As far as filters are concerned, I don't use them very often. Nevertheless, I found a normal B+W polarizer caused some vignetting, so I got one of the new "slim" polarizers (also B+W) which solved the problem.
Hope that helps,
Marc

> I'm thinking of acquiring this lens and wondered if anyone here had> much experience with it (primarly for landscapes) and could comment> helpfully on vignetting, tonal contrast, and flexibility with whatever > filter system has been found to be workable.

I have both leneses and initially found it strange adapting to such a wide angle if view . However you soon learn to handle this [usually by getting in really close!] and appreciate the stunning quality of this lens . Filters are a problem , or rather an expense , if you are a big filter user - I'm not , although I did look into it [all my other lenses are 55mm thread] . Obviously such large filters are going to be somewhat expensive so I looked at the Cokin stuff and decided that one would probably need to use the biggest to be sure of avoiding vignetting . These arent very cheap either[at least where I live]. So far I have to say that I havent really missed having filters for my 21mm so its really not much of a issue for me.... Steve

Carl Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Lens

Many thanks for all your postings on this lens. I've found them reassuringly helpful. Rico, I'm amazed at the demo image - I'd never had guessed it was so wide, given its corrected distortion and the even luminance. It is bitingly Carl Zeiss even in its downloaded form (golly - I never get contrast like that on a Bronny!) In fact, the luminance looks better than anything I've ever achieved on the 25mm lens (that was, before I realised that Cokin adaptor needs to be rotated 90 degrees, so that the parallel filter slits are on the 36mm axis of the negative, rather than the 24mm.....

Stephen, you don't say which Cokin system you've found compatible with this lens, however it sounds like the 130mm size? I have filters up to the P size, and I am in love with Neutral Density Grads, partly because of our erratic climate here (a five stop range on slide film doesn't work unless I forgo all my night-sleep and arrive on site at first light).

I'll set this on my shopping list then. Can I ask how much this lens can be purchased for?

Joe99

> Stephen, you don't say which Cokin system you've found compatible with> this lens, however it sounds like the 130mm size? I have filters up to> the P size, and I am in love with Neutral Density Grads, partly > because of our erratic climate here (a five stop range on slide film> doesn't work unless I forgo all my night-sleep and arrive on site at> first light).

Hi Joe - I seem to remember deciding that the P would not quite be big enough[at least wide open] and that the X-Pro[?] size would be necessary . However they are expensive and tottal overkill I'm sure - on reflection , the sort of pics you're talking about[and probably anything you were going to use the D21 for] would involve stopping down so vignetting would probably not be an issue in that situation . I still havent bothered either way , but its something I should revisit - I havent really missed the option of grads , yet , but the light where I live here in Africa has a huge contrast range very often ...... So do let me know what you decide! Steve

CZ Distagon 21mm f2.8

Thanks Stephen,

My worse fears confirmed - this might be my step along the way to 130mm size filters *Gulp*. They are so big I just know I'm going to drop them....
I was hoping the Lee Filter system might be wide enough, but yes, my favourite apertures range between f8-f16.

I quite agree about the contrast in Africa - it probably makes for exciting shots, having deep blue skies and stark raving colours.....here we have bright featureless white cloudiness, and bland underexposed landscapes....

If the lens is as dear as I think it is, I won't even contemplate filters until I've done time with the lens!

Best wishes,

Joe99

> My worse fears confirmed - this might be my step along the way to> 130mm size filters *Gulp*. They are so big I just know I'm going to> drop them.... > I was hoping the Lee Filter system might be wide enough, but yes, my> favourite apertures range between f8-f16.

Joe , dont let me put you off here!! Do try the "P"size ones first , you should just be okay at least with smaller apertures I reckon . Steve

Thanks Stephen!

That's a good point. I've used a Cokin A system with an 85mm portrait lens (67mm thread, stepped down to 62mm) and managed to scrape away at f8...
any wider, I get pretty pictures of my filter holder pretending to be photogenic (Not!!)

I've sourced a price for the 21mm 2.8MM at around 800 sterling pounds for a new version from a contact in the Far East. That's more expensive than a Bronica 6x6cm 40mm lens (equivalent to 23.5mm on 35mm format)!! Arggh...dilemmas dilemmas...I just know I'm going to agonising over 2.5mm of focal length for the next two or so weeks......

If I feel any consolation, the filter problems will be the same with both......I'll have to move up a size, inevitably. I'll let you know how I get on (without the melodrama)

Joe99

Back