DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best way to transport an M6

G

What's the best way to transport an M6 that will generally travel in a suitcase? Half case, Ever Ready case, Fogg/Lowepro etc bag?

Don't want a big camera bag(already have them)but rather something quick and somewhat protective..

All opinions appreciated..

Colorado Jeff

Posted by Jeff Roberts on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:38 am: > > What's the best way to transport an M6 that will generally travel in a > suitcase? Half case, Ever Ready case, Fogg/Lowepro etc bag? > > Don't want a big camera bag(already have them)but rather something > quick and somewhat protective..

On a strap, so you can shoot pictures with it. Cameras do not take pictures very well inside cases

Sonny

Jeff,

I strongly agree with Sonny. I've traveled many a year (said the old codger) and my Leica's have always been within very close reach. Besides the fact that with all this post 9/11 thing airport security, one will have to leave their suitcases "unlocked" for inspection. Unfortunately objects have been known to go missing.

Enjoy your trips, and your pictures.

[...My 2p's worth ... wrap the m6 in a chammy and stick it in a day pack. I always take my m6 like this when I'm in transit.

Danny]

I take the view that a strap and no case is best. The camera is then = always ready. If you must put it in a bag (because its dark for ex&le) a = neoprene cover like the Zing Multi-Strap Camera/Accessory Bag offers good = protection when putting the camera in a rucksack or case.

Billingham Hadley pro bag is a very practical choice, the camera is easily reached and well protected; not heavy, allows to cary a couple of lens, film and a second body.

>>I strongly agree with Sonny. I've traveled many a year (said the old codger) and my Leica's have always been within very close reach...<<

I agree with all of you about keeping the camera close.. and I travel a lot so I understand. I've heard that Leica's are pretty stout..just didn't know about tossing one into a briefcase..but I think I'll get a little bag and do just that..
Oh..and the airport security situation? A nightmare. Absolutely a pain in the neck.
Colorado Jeff

Domke has a nifty little bag that I use for my M6. The tag inside the bag=20 identifies the model as F-5XB. I also use the same bag for my G system. In= =20 both cases a camera with lens mounted and two other lenses or accessories=20 fill the space. =20

I particularly like the fact that the closure is both zipper and heavily=20 velcroed flap. When I'm not shooting and just transporting, I like the extr= a=20 security of the zipper.

The bag comes with a strap and there are some small pockets under the flap o= n=20 the body of the bag. I use them for pen and model release, mini tripod and=20 (for the Contax) the TLA 140 flash. As I recall, the bag cost about $48 at=20= B& H. Comes in several colors.

Bill Lafferty Pittsburgh

I have used a messenger bag for my M6, lens and accessories. This is strictly for transport or to keep extra film and an extra lens or two handy. Actual shooting on the street - the camera is on my shoulder with no case or cap. The case does not look like a camera case and allows you to blend a little, unless you are shooting pictures in downtown Pocatello Idaho.

When transporting in the messenger bag (Timbuk 2 brand) I use Zing neoprene cases for the M6 and extra lens. Messenger cases are usually made with a waterproof (looks like inflatable boat material) lining that adds extra rain protection.

Mine serves as a carry on at the airport as well.

Finally, I think the little Domke bag F5X-B looks like a real winner as well. Just depends how much stuff you are going to carry.

Almost "everyone" seem to use the Domke F-803, including myself. Superb bag, if needed you stash it in your suitcase as well, otherwise you can always have this hand luggage!

Back