DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Best way to transport an M6

I just got a simple case big enough to hold the equipment I currently have (instead of buying some big bag to hold all the stuff I might eventually buy).

I also got a separate, small bag that just fits the camera and a mounted lens. It's great if you want to take the camera off your neck and throw it in the trunk. I prefer the common brands (like lowelpro) that don't scream out "expensive camera inside."

Still, everyone in this thread is correct: If it's in a case, it isn't taking pictures!

> Don't laugh. When it comes to being inconspicious I use a Thermos container, the kind that is intended to hold a 6 pack. It's well padded by virtue of it's being insulated.

> [Hi Jon

Contrary to laughing - I would commend you on this brilliant idea! It is effective, very inconspicous, really protective and the pack does take the beating.

Only one possible setback - in tropical Singapore - one cannot keep the equipment in such containers for too long without worrying about the humidity effect.

But I shall certainly learn from you and employ this method on my next outing.

Joseph Low / Singapore

RGHHHH! sometimes I REALLY dislike this form, because you have to be sure to put the message inside hte shark's teeth.

I carry the M6 with a 35 on it on a strap over my shoulder, and the other two lenses in my pocket. I sold everything else. My camera bag holds cleaning stuff, my cell phone and a water bottle.

Sometimes I just go out with the camera and one lens. Lately I have just been going out with the LC5 Lumix /(lika Leica)

SonC

I prefere a lens or two in the pocket and the camera on the shoulder strap - if you need a bag, Domke in the usa make some really nice bags - all heavy duty cutton - they look a bit like the kind a bags my teachers carried in the 70th - you can have paper for notes and som water and ofcause some gear, but it does not look like a photobag at all - I have a larger in black and a smaller in sand-colour (about A4 size) My only problem is that my teenager daughters think they are trendy in a "understated cool" way so the keep taking them for excursions etc.

I'm really partical to the M-Classics Bag, a copy of the Leitz Bag. Especially for an ultra-light travel system, with plenty of room still left for everything else.

> Using the M Classics bag (or the Leica original from which it was cloned) is > advisable only while your gear is still under no-fault Passport. It's not > much better than using a canvas tote bag. No padding. Bang it against a wall > or set the bag down on a hard surface--or worse, drop it--and you can kiss > goodbye to the Leica gear inside

Much better IMHO is the Billingham "Alice" bag. Simple design but beautifully crafted for speed and more than adequate protection. Good padding, both sides and bottom; opens in two seconds; adjustable dividers. It holds one or two M sized bodies, each with a compact lens attached (35, 50, even a CV 75), plus two or three other lenses, depending on size. You can even stuff a compact flash if so needed (i.e. one of those flat Metzes or -probably- the Leica TTL one), yet the bag is compact, unobstrussive and doesn't look ineqivocally "photo" but rather like a courier type satchel. One of the minuses is that it doesn't have any exterior pockets but the internal layout is quite good: Main compartment that can be divided by means of supplied velcroed panels; lengthwise there's one 1" thick fixed compartment that can hold an amazing quantity of film and other small accessories (viewfinders, cable, shades, etc..) and on the back of the bag, another thin section that can hold travel documents, plane tickets , etc.

It is, without doubt, the best designed bag I own -out of nearly a dozen in all sizes and brands- and also the one that sees the most use. Billinghams take an awful lot of beating and scuffing gracefully; mine has been three -careless- years with me, seen lots of travel, and still looks new.

I would like to second Jorge’s comments on the Billigham bags. The "Hadley" range is also quite compact and has external pockets.

The Billinghams in general are also very comfortable to carry around. The snap on shoulder pads are also a good extra for those bags which don’t come with one. Even a simple out fit including an M6 with a couple of lenses and bit of sundry additional gear can weigh quite a bit and a well designed bag is a real assistance in lugging the stuff around, in my experience.

One of the great attributes of the Billinghams is that they look quite smart but don’t sing out "look I'm a camera bag." Well worth the investment.

Craig

I recommend to get one of Lutz Konermann's "Slings". The best thing I ever bought for my Leica. Now it rests in my hand and is ever ready! Here is the link: http://www.konermann.net/homepage.html. It is even better than having the Leica around your neck, one is just faster with the Sling - more opportunities for pictures!

Back