DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Overview of the SL300R

Hilarious posts Bob, not to mention good detective work. Any chance that they stumbled across a remainder sale on '70s shelf-lining paper?

I would, however, have to make room in my bag for an Alfred E. Newman model, no matter what.

--Rick

Thanks Rick, you could be right about the paper!

Of course, Spy vs Spy would naturally use these diminutive cameras ... and they could have their own colour schemes too!

Let's hope Kyocera don't get ideas about the Contax version, other than the fashionable silver/black alternatives. Remember what they tried to do to the 2000 versions of the RX and TVS III? I wonder how many colour and font combinations were eventually sold?

169442.jpg

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Well, if they sell that must be good for them. Presumably it is the Japanese market they are chasing

DIT DIT DAH ..... DIT DIT DAH DIT ....HOT OFF THE PRESS .... (Oops! hope that isn't anything rude to you Morse readers!)

Kyocera have done it again ... announcing 29 new cameras in one day ....... those marketing guys are really getting on my wick now! Timed to perfection for PMA, the announcement was calculated for maximum annoyance factor for the Kyocera Kid
happy.gif

Singlehandedly ... they want to fill my much-loved Yashica Family Tree chart with dozens of combinations of the same camera under different colour guises! I can hear them sniggering now, back in Kyoto!

BEFORE YOU SWITCH OFF .... if you think this is just another of Kyocera Kid's SL300R ramblings ... have some patience there is more serious news at the end .... but I am going to force you to read through the humorous(?) stuff first!

Anyway .... it's not SL300R ramblings .... it's SL400R ramblings
happy.gif

Here is the 4 megapixel SL400R

179012.jpg

179013.jpg

179014.jpg

OK .... "29 cameras, he said" .... "I know what's coming next", I hear you say!

The 3 basic body colours Silver(with silver panel), Gun Metal(with burgundy panel) and Pearl(with blue panel) .... can all have 8 different colour panel inserts applied as a limited edition offer.

That's 27 different combinations ...... Hey! you said 29 .....Ah! the other two cameras will follow shortly. But, I know you will all want to see the new colour schemes first!

179015.jpg

179016.jpg

Colourfully described as ... light/write blue, silver and burgundy, the Sakura pink, blue and wave silver, green, orange and charcoal. They ignored my call for Banana, Peach or Rum 'n' Raisin
happy.gif

.... Kyocera should focus their efforts less on colours and more on autofocus reliabilty. The AF in the SL300R is a nightmare - no matter how you paint the camera.

Sorry, the follow up message about the other 2 cameras has been cut by the webmaster!

Oh! Well!

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Thanks for the link.

The above mentioned review said:

> The camera processes much of the image
> information at the analog stage [...]
> Imagenoise, for ex&le, is reduced
> by first adjusting RGB colors at 16 bits
> before outputting it digitally at 12 bits.
> In my own informal testing I found that
> there seems to be some truth to this
> claim, as long as you keep your ISO
> setting to 100.

Recently I was briefly touching this subject in an exchange with Austin.

Does this more elaborated description add anything?

Anyone else able to comment on this is surely welcome.

Kind regards,

Jakob

Robin,
Thank you for posting that link on the macdevcentre for the review on the SL300R. It reinforces my view that it may well be the low noise on this camera (together of course with the definition of the Vario Tessar lens) that produces results that are "easy on the eye". There is also an interesting link on that site to a viewer program for Palm devices called Resco Viewer. I downloaded the free trial version and found it makes my Handspring Treo 600 a useful picture viewer for SD cards, which it most certainly was not, with Handspring's own viewer software. For those of you with Palm devices, this is definitely worth a look. Wilson

While shooting my ND in New Zealand the previous winter, my sole image managemenr facility for the trip was an iPAQ Pocket PC with Resco Image Viewer. Could not be beat for portability.

My new setup which I used in Indonesia this winter consists of a Tablet PC with Photoshop and a host of other image management utilities plus 200+ CDs in MP3 format :).

Later today (as soon as I find my Firewire extension) I'm finally going to try tethering the ND to my Tablet and shoot raw format straight to the PC and see how that works out.

Cheers,

DJ

Back