DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Filters and G2

N

nixdorf

Hi,

do I need to adjust the settings if I want to use colour filters on my G2. I'm referring to the basic B/W filterset, Red, Yellow, Green. Or does the G2 measure the differences automatically ?

Hi Michaela,

> do I need to adjust the settings if I want to use colour filters on my > G2. I'm referring to the basic B/W filterset, Red, Yellow, Green. Or > does the G2 measure the differences automatically ?

The metering is through the lense, so you will be all set, the camera will account for the decrease in light automatically. Unless...you're using the Hologon, which switches the metering automatically to an external metering system, so in that case, you'd need to compensate the meter your self either using the compensation dial, or resetting the ISO.

Regards,

Austin

Although the meter does detect a loss of light for filters, I have talked to people who claim the that TTL metering does not compensate properly for filter application. The subject matter, contrast of the scene and the color of the colors in the composition ahve to be accounted for in order to adjust exposure for proper results. Quite a few people I know use a hand held meter once filters are used.

Using yellow or red I encounter underexposure, it all seems a trifle to dark, with some shots this complements the end result, but others are just not good enough. I have the feeling that my camera doesn't control the light measuring part well with filters and this I find disturbing.

Michaela, my experiences are really similar, and the exposures seem a bit strange when I use a yellow filter, but are specially a nightmare with a red (3 stops) one. I must try the external manual exposure way.

Cheers, Ludwig

What the TTL meter reads will be a decent starting point, but there are too many variables to presume that it's going to be the best exposure for the situation. This also applies to handheld meters.

Meters genenerally aren't linear in their response to colors across the spectrum, nor are films. Then too, there's the light temperature and the color of the subject itself, plus the effect you're looking for.

In a word: experiment. Experiment and take notes.

--Rick

p.s. Austin, I'd love to see a what a collection of filters for the Hologon might look like!

--Rick

Hi Michaela,

> I have the feeling that my camera doesn't > control the light measuring part well with filters and this I find > disturbing.

I've not had any problem using filters with any cameras that provide TTL metering...but I don't use colored filters often. There typically is a correction factor listed on the filter. You probably could use exposure compensation with the filter on...even with the automatic metering...with a little experimentation, or simply meter unfiltered, and set exposure compensation to the correction factor listed on the filter.

TTL metering should not be any different than a handheld meter (providing they have the same coverage)...as they both use the same type of sensors, SPDs (Silicon Photo Diodes) and they should have very similar color response curves. The advantage is that you can dial in the correction factor, and meter unfiltered, without having to remove the filter to meter, and put it back on to take the picture. I guess if using filters a lot, that would be preferable.

Regards,

Austin

Hi,

Could somebody please tell me if it makes any difference whether I use Contax UV filters or Heliopan or B+W? Is there any difference in quality for the same type of filter?

Thanks,

Sergio

Sergio:

I own all of them and believe that they all are of high quality. Heliopan and B & W use Schott glass (Zeiss). I do prefer the Heliopan SH-PMC filters which have 16 coatings on them, but they are a little more expensive.

Good Luck

Gilbert

Back