DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Sony / Minolta at all?

Steve Beland (Stv) wrote: Please accept my humblest apologies to this board and the specific membership (member) that I have offended with my spontaneous and crass outburst.  As a Minolta devotee of limited photography skill sets, I will certainly need to reevaluate my ability to contribute to this board at the level of professional talent/content that is found within this site. Thank you for your indulgence. -- Peter Blaise responds:  Don't worry about it, Steve!  We're all underdogs here, being in the Minolta c&!  ;-)  And who's skill set isn't limited by something - experience, ego, money, time, local services, the laws of physics, attitude ... ?!? From http://www.onelook.com/ "... Expert - noun: a person with special knowledge or ability who performs skillfully.  adjective: having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude..." Steve, I think YOU are an expert with special knowledge ... of YOU, and that is what I am curious about.  I am curious about each and every one of us and our own Minolta Photorgaphy experiences. I enjoyed Hung's exploration of what Minolta gear means to him (inexpensive, well featured, reliable), and you all have seen my experience (Minolta cameras seem to jump to my hand and just work with me intuitively). I think we all contribute to eachother in our own way, and none of us has anything "better" to offer than anyone else, just as no one's contribution is "worse".  We need every one of us to feel welcome here, even those of us who are disgruntled or frustrated or out of resources and we think we don't know what to do. Those experiences of feeling diminished may be just as fleeting as the feeling of being uncompromisingly capable. For instance, I have asigned myself the task of photographing a certail group of brdges nearby and giving the viewer the experience of what the bridge is all about, not just a documentary photograph of the bridge.  I'm stimied, with many rolls on the shelf, wondering how I'm going to do it.  I'm wondering if I'm even capable of doing it at all!  Maybe someday I will look back on it and wonder what was the hesitation.  Maybe it will plague me, unconquered, the rest of my life. Plus, as Marc challenges, how does "Minolta" fit into the equation in a way that "non-Minolta" would not also fit equally as well? I'll let you all know! -- So, Steve, what is your experience of your Minolta Photography, eh? Steve Beland (Stv) wrote:  Why ? Twenty-seven years ago a sweet young lady gifted me with my first 35mm camera. A Minolta range-finder, the model number has since escaped me. The camera broke long ago and was unable to repair the shutter. I tossed the Minolta, but kept (married) the girl. My next Minolta experience was the new AF Maxxum-7000. I was amazed by the people who would stop me on the street (Toronto) just to chat and admire it ! This sweet light-box quickly found it's limitations whereupon I soon traded-up to the now classic Maxxum-9000 c/w all the goodies; motor, flashes,flash grip and several lenses. A lot of cash for my salad days of the mid-80's! That was my baby for 18 plus years and still have it. Alas, tired but true, it was time to move up and on. Presenting the just arrived Maxxum 7, also with many of the top add-ons. 5600-HS-D flash, several D-zoom lenses and battery grip etc. What a great camera this is, although still a little daunting for me at times. Now the digital age has arrived and Minolta has not let me down. Recently I took ownership of a fantastic digital, the Dimage A1 of which I'm currently getting comfortable with. The AS works like a charm. Lots of potential fun for me here. So, looks like I'm a Minolta lifer ! Why again ? Many, many reasons. Mostly the reliability. Never had to repair a Minolta camera or accessories, with the exception of my first of course. Second, is the innovations Minolta brings to the table and life outside of the "box" i.e. Canon and Nikon arrogance. Easy to use, cost effective, a joy to own and sensuous hold. ... and ... Steve Beland (Stv) wrote:  ... I'm a Minolta neophyte, someone help me with my issues ... Peter Blaise responds: Minolta neophyte? From http://www.onelook.com - neophyte, noun: a plant that is found in an area where it had not been recorded previously.  noun: a new convert being taught the principles of Christianity by a catechist.  noun: any new participant in some activity. You?  Neophyte?  Hardly!  I'd LOVE to have the Minotla cameras you've got - the Minolta AF 9000, the "mighty" Minolta 7 and the Minolta Dimage A1 - GEESH!  I'd be in heaven if I had your arsenal! So, what issues are you working on?  WHy not start a new thread or direct us to whatever thread you are currently finding unaddressed and we'll explore righ talong with ya, okay? -- Click! Love and hugs, Peter Blaise Monahon - Minolta Vivitar Tamron Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer - peterblaise@yahoo.com - http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Geesh I hate the lack of control over formatting of this board software! ARGH! Let me try again, and see if this is readable:

--

Steve Beland (Stv) wrote: Please accept my humblest apologies to this board and the specific membership (member) that I have offended with my spontaneous and crass outburst. As a Minolta devotee of limited photography skill sets, I will certainly need to reevaluate my ability to contribute to this board at the level of professional talent/content that is found within this site.

Thank you for your indulgence.

--

Peter Blaise responds: Don't worry about it, Steve! We're all underdogs here, being in the Minolta c&! ;-) And who's skill set isn't limited by something - experience, ego, money, time, local services, the laws of physics, attitude ... ?!?

From http://www.onelook.com/ "... Expert - noun: a person with special knowledge or ability who performs skillfully. adjective: having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude..."

Steve, I think YOU are an expert with special knowledge ... of YOU, and that is what I am curious about. I am curious about each and every one of us and our own Minolta Photography experiences.

I enjoyed Hung's exploration of what Minolta gear means to him (inexpensive, well featured, reliable), and you all have seen my experience (Minolta cameras seem to jump to my hand and just work with me intuitively).

I think we all contribute to each other in our own way, and none of us has anything "better" to offer than anyone else, just as no one's contribution is "worse". We need every one of us to feel welcome here, even those of us who are disgruntled or frustrated or out of resources and we think we don't know what to do.

Those experiences of feeling diminished may be just as fleeting as the feeling of being uncompromisingly capable.

For instance, I have assigned myself the task of photographing a certain group of bridges nearby and giving the viewer the experience of what the bridge is all about, not just a documentary photograph of the bridge. I'm stymied, with many rolls on the shelf, wondering how I'm going to do it. I'm wondering if I'm even capable of doing it at all! Maybe someday I will look back on it and wonder what was the hesitation. Maybe it will plague me, unconquered, the rest of my life.

Plus, as Marc challenges, how does "Minolta" fit into the equation in a way that "non-Minolta" would not also fit equally as well?

I'll let you all know!

--

So, Steve, what is your experience of your Minolta Photography, eh?

Steve Beland (Stv) wrote: Why ?

Twenty-seven years ago a sweet young lady gifted me with my first 35mm camera. A Minolta range-finder, the model number has since escaped me. The camera broke long ago and was unable to repair the shutter. I tossed the Minolta, but kept (married) the girl.

My next Minolta experience was the new AF Maxxum-7000. I was amazed by the people who would stop me on the street (Toronto) just to chat and admire it ! This sweet light-box quickly found it's limitations whereupon I soon traded-up to the now classic Maxxum-9000 c/w all the goodies; motor, flashes, flash grip and several lenses. A lot of cash for my salad days of the mid-80's! That was my baby for 18 plus years and still have it.

Alas, tired but true, it was time to move up and on. Presenting the just arrived Maxxum 7, also with many of the top add-ons. 5600-HS-D flash, several D-zoom lenses and battery grip etc. What a great camera this is, although still a little daunting for me at times.

Now the digital age has arrived and Minolta has not let me down. Recently I took ownership of a fantastic digital, the Dimage A1 of which I'm currently getting comfortable with. The AS works like a charm. Lots of potential fun for me here.

So, looks like I'm a Minolta lifer ! Why again ?

Many, many reasons. Mostly the reliability. Never had to repair a Minolta camera or accessories, with the exception of my first of course. Second, is the innovations Minolta brings to the table and life outside of the "box" i.e. Canon and Nikon arrogance. Easy to use, cost effective, a joy to own and sensuous hold.

... and ...

Steve Beland (Stv) wrote: ... I'm a Minolta neophyte, someone help me with my issues ...

Peter Blaise responds: Minolta neophyte?

From http://www.onelook.com - neophyte, noun: a plant that is found in an area where it had not been recorded previously. noun: a new convert being taught the principles of Christianity by a catechist. noun: any new participant in some activity.

You? Neophyte? Hardly! I'd LOVE to have the Minolta cameras you've got - the Minolta AF 9000, the "mighty" Minolta 7 and the Minolta Dimage A1 - GEESH! I'd be in heaven if I had your arsenal!

So, what issues are you working on? WHy not start a new thread or direct us to whatever thread you are currently finding unaddressed and we'll explore right along with ya, okay?

--

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon -

Minolta Vivitar Tamron Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer -

peterblaise@yahoo.com -

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Nice thread so far - "Why Minolta?"

~ 11 months

~ 34,000 words (minus my two big wrapped ones that got duplicated - Dirk, you can kill #102 and #94 where the lines all wrapped together, thanks!)

~ 100 messages

_ (that's about 340 words per post, by the way)

... although you can ONLY read the thread as a thread, end to end, on the web.

Great idea, Dirk.

I wonder what it will look like a year form now?!?

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon

Minolta Vivitar Tamron Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer

peterblaise@yahoo.com

PS - I see "closed" new posts nat accepted at this thread ... hmm waht's the point of a dead end? Who will visit it, what's it for, where does it get archived, can we start a new one, is this a subject that can only be useful for 11 months and no one outside of this time ever gets to share? Geesh!

Peter,

Your enthusiasm is undoubted. But your post is so long I will just make a few points.

Firstly, you will be able to resvisit digital images as software improves. The fractals progaramme for instance, means images can exceed thier potential. Obviously you won't be able to have a new digital file from a camera. But you can go back to the base image.

You can do things in a ditigal darkroom that you can't in film. Correct converging verticals, for instance. (Though you might be able to do that by playing with the enlarger angle). And you certainly would not attempt a big cloning clean up in a darkroom process that you would in photoshop.

I capture on film for the moment. Once I can make a selenium or bleach back type print as nicely in digital I shan't be playing with the toxic chemicals.

And I do like the Minolta 9. It is a far better camera than the 9000, and the first minolta that actually feels like a pro-camera. Let's hope this mooted digital is the same.

From the equipment you've got it sounds like your run camera musuem.

M

marc venton (Travis) wrote: ... you will be able to resvisit digital images as software improves. The fractals progaramme for instance, means images can exceed their potential. Obviously you won't be able to have a new digital file from a camera. But you can go back to the base image ...

Peter Blaise responds: Yes, and RAW software helps revisit the best the camera had to offer (c'mon, Minolta, catch up to Nikon). Fractal software (been there, done that, got the T-shirt) cannot rediscover deeper and new details in an existing image, though. It's only good for blowing up, er, enlarging with a smooth interpolation that allows the eye to believe the expanded dots are filled in with acceptable inventions of what would otherwise be missing in the larger image. There's a difference between greater enlargement and refining definition, and digital can't do what film can do with each new generation of technology. Close, but I think you understand the limits. I do too, and have both - film AND Fractal software!

marc venton (Travis) wrote: ... You can do things in a digital darkroom that you can't in film. Correct converging verticals, for instance. (Though you might be able to do that by playing with the enlarger angle). And you certainly would not attempt a big cloning clean up in a darkroom process that you would in photoshop.

Peter Blaise responds: You're preachin' to the choir here. As I said, I rush my film images into the computer and do my work there nowadays!

marc venton (Travis) wrote: ... I capture on film for the moment. Once I can make a selenium or bleach back type print as nicely in digital I shan't be playing with the toxic chemicals.

Peter Blaise responds: Longevity? Toning not only enhanced the image qualities immediately, but those chemicals, some anyway, enhance longevity. What's your resource in computer output for longevity, or does that not matter to you since you can reprint on demand?

marc venton (Travis) wrote: ... And I do like the Minolta 9. It is a far better camera than the 9000, and the first minolta that actually feels like a pro-camera. Let's hope this mooted digital is the same.

Peter Blaise responds: Do you have a Minolta AF 9000 side by side with the Minolta 9? I'm jealous! I'd love BOTH. The 9000 invented the pro auto SLR marketplace and it's full of startling inventiveness that we all take for granted now. The 9 just keeps on getting "best camera ever" accolades and Minolta keeps sneaking upgrades into it (hand made in Japan, ya know - their new pride and joy after the Minolta CLE, even though the SR-T101, X-700 and 7000 were their bread and butter.)

marc venton (Travis) wrote: ... From the equipment you've got it sounds like your run camera museum.

Peter BLaise responds: Me? Let me look up that word (http://www.onelook.com/):

[museum, noun: a depository for collecting and displaying objects having scientific or historical or artistic value.]

... no, not "displaying", I use my gear all the time ...

[muse, noun: the source of an artist's inspiration (Ex&le: "Euterpe was his muse"). verb: reflect deeply on a subject.]

... more like it!

My cameras all have film in 'em and get carried around at least 3 on me at all times! ;-) These are for USE!

[Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French muser to gape, idle, muse, from muse mouth of an animal, from Medieval Latin musus]

... now THAT'S wrong! Not my mouth wide open, but my eyes! (Okay, occasionally a scene startles me in awe and I probably do stand there agape - as in a-gaping!)

Someday I may part with one camera or another ($$$), but I'm like a child with each new discovery, they fascinate me and I quickly learn what the designers thought was so special to share with me. I also appreciate other cameras, and other Minolta cameras than the one's I own/ Yet if I don't respond to the feature and benefit set, I leave it for someone else to enjoy! That's me! I've even built and moderate discussion groups for Minolta cameras that I do not own or use, but I see the need to foster a successful community to support them. That's me, too!

--

Marc, I did an internet search for you and got nothing. Am I a bad searcher or are you not in view on the web?

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minoltadimagex/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minoltadimagez1/

There's a difference between greater enlargement and refining definition, and digital can't do what film can do with each new generation of technology. Close, but I think you understand the limits. I do too, and have both - film AND Fractal software!

Top of the range scanners have probably reached as much useful resolution as can be got out of a negative. At 5,400 dpi on 35mm you are really reveling just grain after that. There is an argument for colour and dynamic depth.

>>Peter Blaise responds: Longevity? Toning not >>only enhanced the image qualities immediately, >>but those chemicals, some anyway, enhance >>longevity.

Print longevity is pretty stable wiht the new generation of Epsons. And yes, in the end, I can print a picture again in 20 years if it fades.

>>Peter Blaise responds: Do you have a Minolta >>AF 9000 side by side with the Minolta 9? I'm >>jealous!

No flogged the 9000.

>>I'd love BOTH. You can pick up a 9000 for very little money now. But most have suffered bleeding on the LCD.

>>Minolta keeps sneaking upgrades into it (hand made in Japan. Do they. What kind?

>>7000 were their bread and butter

Had a 7000. Electronics kept packing up. Not very reliable camera IMO. I sense that the 9 will keep going for ever. It will be my last film camera, except for the nostalgia purchce of an SRT-101 which was my first SLR and second ever camera.

>>museum, noun: a depository for collecting and >>displaying objects having scientific or >>historical or artistic value.

There are living musuems where objects are used.

>>That's me! I've even built and moderate >>discussion groups for Minolta cameras that I >>do not own or use, but I see the need to >>foster a successful community to support them. >>That's me, too!

Well, give them a call, and ask if they are launching a new camera at PMA next month.

>>Marc, I did an internet search for you and got >>nothing. Am I a bad searcher or are you not in >>view on the web?

No, your a good searcher. This is not my real name, I don't use that in public on the internet. Actually you would only find my writing on the net, not photos (I think).

I tried to copy a couple of JPEGs in here. Couldn't

I don't remember how I got my images in this thread on the web. Go to the web and look at the thread - there are images!

I'll try again, but if there's no image ... maybe they are only visible on the web, not in the distributed emails? I read and post by email, and visit the web only occasionally.

[Image]

Peter Blaise - Minolta Photographer

Shot by Liz Kulick with our Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 and F/N-80 on Ilford 400 B&W, scanned by Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II

... I hope you can see it!

... mark venton (Travis) is not your real name, eh?

I've been on the internet since it's inception with my real name and all I get is 300 spams a day! ;-)

Still don't know how to get an image in here.

Recent quote in UK photography mag shoes Minolta are still staying tight lipped about PMA, but inferring that something will happen.

They have just launched two new SLRs.

I really hope they don't do an Olympus and create a non legacy ditigal camera. I assume they would not, given the lack of sales they had with their first digi SLR. It seems pretty obvious marketing, given that there are thousands/millions of Minolta SLR owners out here who will buy a digital camera to run alongside our film ones if they are compatible.

"..Still don't know how to get an image in here. "

Just use the "upload attachement" button at the end of each thread where you also type your posting.

Ahhh! No email for attachments, eh? We must "do it on the web"!
9026.jpg

Back