DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Isle of Skye, Scotland (UK)

My wife and I went up to the Isle of Skye for a week at the end of Sept / beginning of Oct this year. I've been a few times before but this was the first time I'd been with the express intention of taking a load of photos.

My suggestions are:

1. Take plenty of film for the duration you're there. There isn't a decent supply of film anywhere on the island as far as I could ascertain.

2. Don't let the local photo labs process any of your film. I allowed a local photo shop to process a roll of 120 colour print film - just to see what my shots were coming out like. The negs were okay but the prints were chronic. Over-bright, tepid colours and not very sharp.

3. Do your research. The island is bigger than you imagine and the roads are average / borderline poor in places. You will need to drive slower than you think (esp in bad weather - not called "The Misty Isle" for no reason). Have maps and know where you're headed.

4. If you're going B&B or hotel, take plenty of money as eating out is bl**dy expensive. You can get fish and chips in Portree (Port Righ) at "The Codfather" and they are very nice. However, eating in restaurants / pubs seemed considerably more expensive than on the UK mainland.

5. Visit Sligachan and shoot the Cuillin. Everyone does it but it is a stunning place. Check out the Trotternish region and the Old Man of Storr / Quraing. A boat trip from Dunvegan Castle to photograph the seal colony is also great value.

Hm, I was in Skye in August this year, and in my experience it was not more expensive than the rest of Scotland.

Films I always take home for processing, snowball's chance in hell that I will hand my films to some random outfit when I'm travelling.

Wilko

Back