DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summitar

J

johne

I was given a summitar to use as a lens cap but, after posting pics on the gallery of this site, the general consensus is that it is a remarkable lens. My qustion is: how does one know it the lens is a Summitar of an early version of the Summicron? Have people deliberately marked these lens to lessen flare? Please advise. Johne

Dear John,

The lens will be inscribed " Summitar* ".

What do you mean by "Have people deliberately marked these lens to lessen flare?"

Sincerely,

Justin

I was given a summitar to use as a lens cap but, after posting pics > on the gallery of this site, the general consensus is that it is a > remarkable lens. My qustion is: how does one know it the lens is a > Summitar of an early version of the Summicron? Johne, The early Summicrons were marked Summitar*, with an asterisk after it.

@All:
Summitar does not have the *
Serial number is 900582
It may be another urban legend but it seems I vaguely remember someone telling me that it helped this model to scratch the out edges on the back (like cleaning marks) to cut down flare.Johne

BTW, to see an ex&le from this lens, go to Travel in Gallery, one page back, and click on "Beautiful Ohio."
Johne

Dear John

According to the lens number list your Summitar was allocated its number in 1951, and as you have said is not a "probe" Summicron.

Nevertheless quite a good lens.

Enjoy it.

Justin

"~ it helped this model to scratch the out edges on the back (like cleaning marks) to cut down flare."

I have never heard that one before; In fact I suspect such treatment might increase flare.

Like Justin, I can't see how taking the black off would do other than increase flare. With a little care and thought about light sources in the picture area, the Summitar is a very good performer and has been among my favourite Leica lenses for many years. it provides an atmosphere that late more clinically perfect lenses can't match but is several steps ahead of the old Summar. If flare is concerning you the simple solution is to invest in the proper hood for the lens (a fantastic deep box-shape hood that folds flat when not in use). There are plenty on the net. Search through http://www.mwclassic.com they have some for less than GBP30.

Andy

Thanks Andy and Justin.

The comment was based upon the idea that the path of focus narrows until it passes through the real element of the lens; therefore, the critical mass of that real element affecting the quality of the picture is toward the center of that element. The outer part of that lens element can be dulled without affecting the quality of the picture. At the time I thought it was questionable, but he claimed to be able to repair lens and I know I am woefully ignorant about physics. Johne

Back