DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Curves&Flash wD70

Raw gives you as much and more control than the camera itself offers. You just need to have the WB in the ballpark, and use good metering technique. EVERYTHING else can be fixed after the fact in NIKON Capture Editor. CS and photoshop are great but the Nikon software is designed to work with the camera.

Raw uses 2/3 more space on your cards. If you don't have big cards and have no way of off loading and storing while shooting, then you just may have no choice but to shoot JPEG.

The curves can be set to what ever your heart desires in Capture, after exposure. But, it's important that you understand that in low contrast scenes you don't use the low contrast settings in the camera. You will have very flat photos. But even that will be fixable in Capture, but it's best to start with the best possible settings from the beginning. I'd use the normal curve. You can switch between the different curves in the camera, once again, you NEED to read the manual. If you have a good basic understanding of how light and film work, it won't be beyond you.

I'll personally be glad when you are done with this and have time to throttle your camera and get to know it and read the manual and then back to the throttle on the camera. That's the only way to really know your DSLR. Larry pointed out that along the way you can preview your shots and make adjustments...yup. Bring both of your cameras and make the F100 the primary and use the D70 here and there.... can't go wrong that way.

Don't stress about it, just do it.

Bo

Lastly, given the direction this has taken and all of your suggestions...any add on comments on acheiving skin tones? LOTS of people this shoot.

The book says color mode 1 is for skin, I use mode 3 which has just about the same skin tone, but is a richer more saturated color, I have yet to really use the other modes. I have, but for special purpose.

If you do a white balance with a grey card at the subject postion, skin tones will fall into place. At most you may have to saturate or de-saturate slightly in Photoshop. That is simply routine with any shoot. If there is a slight colour cast, that too can be removed in processing. Try to come as close as possible at the time of exposure. Photoshop is for fine-tuning - not majorly correcting - in a pro shoot.

Remember that the monitor is your closest friend, and there has never been a better light meter - ever - than the histogram. Do a test shot if the conditions change in any way, check the histogram and the monitor image and adjust.

Don't wait to get home to see the results. This is the huge advantage that digital has over film. Test and make adjustments on the shoot while you can.

Don't panic.

larry!
ICQ 76620504
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

I just bought the Nikon D70, can I use my F 100 SB-80 Speedlight? OR I need to buy a SB-80DX Speedlight?
Thanks
Hien Chen

Hien, to get all the features working, you will need to get the SB600 or SB800 to take advantage of iTTL (newer version and more accurate TTL). However, you can use your existing flash but it will not work in TTL mode. In fact, you wont be able to press the shutter. The D70 will lock it up. You will be able to use your flash in the Auto, Manual mode with options for rear curtain flash and repeating flash.

I have not tried the SB80 or the DX, but I do own a SB28 (non DX) and am able to use it on the D70, but the Flash exposure and the pictures are much, much , much more accurate with the SB800.

At least you can use it until you are ready to invest in the SB800. Should you wish to use multiple flashes, I suggest you get the SB800 first, as that is the Flash model that can remotely control other SB600s' and SB800s'.

Paul

> You will be soooooo much happier with the SB800 flash. The older flash models do not "talk" to the D70 and you have to shoot everything on manual. There is no auto aperture available with the SB80 when used with the D70. You have to take many shots to set the output to work and it just is not worth the effort to reshoot, plus sometimes you cannot reshoot candids. >

Hello Paul, Thank you very much for the reply on the D-70 flash questions. I will try SB28 (non DX)with D-70 and will post on the forum. I did try the SB-80, it is not work at all. Thanks again Paul Hien >

Back