DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Problems loading film

sacrifice

I have 2 M7s. I use them regularly. I have always had some problem reloading these cameras. It always seems that I have to click, attempt to rewind, turn the power on and off, repetitively to get the take up spool to work. I seem to have the same problem when I use the motor drive. Any suggestions?

i have more success when i started folding the film tip before loading the film.

> i have more success when i started folding the film tip before loading > the film.

I am going to start folding the film, I was photographing an event with my M7 that would not be repeated and I thought i have taken some amazing shots .... until I got to frame 39! - The film had not loaded.

It has never happened on my Konica Hexar.

regards Simon

Read the directions in your Leica instruction book on loading. I found that it's not that sensitive to exact placement of the leader. I tried loading with the leader just inside the 3 prong spool, and bringing the leader so it goes through and out the other end. Both worked. It is also important to develop the habit of looking at the rewind crank to be sure it moves during your first frames (even when winding the leader to #1). By the way, it doesn't work well until you replace the bottom cover. Hope this solves your problems.

You need to be a little careful about having the film leader protrude through the 3 prong take-up-spool too far. There is the risk that film will wind on with a bulge and jamb midway through a 36 exp roll. The trick is to feed in enough of the film leader but not too much! Once the film is inserted replace the bottom cover and then wind on to the “0†counter position. Do not wind on before the bottom cover is replaced. There is a knack to getting it right but once you have, you will have no further problems. The whole thing is a stupid system. Folding the tip of the film seems like a good idea I shall have to try it.

The M5 take-up-spool was a much better arrangement. The reversion to the M4 type in later cameras is damn annoying, particularly with bulk rolled film. The much maligned M3, M2 film loading was at least a simple fail safe operation.

Good luck, craig

i use an m6. i pull the film out enough so that when i drop it in it sticks most of the way into the takeup spool. as there are three slots it hits the other side. the trick i use is to line up one of the sprocket holes with the little gear that's exposed when you open the back door. i hold the film down with finger pressure. this makes for positive takeup. as long as i am not sloppy in doing so I have never had a problem loading the film. it sure beats my canon IIF (unless someone has a trick for the old screwmounts!)

I had a lot of trouble with the filmloading on my M6 to start with as I tried to do it the way the camera-shop-owner had showed me. Then after a year of two I found the manual for the M6 camera and follwed the instructions exactly and I have never had a problem with it since!

I have been a Leica SM and M owner sine 1966 and have never experienced any problem loading the film. Do follow instruction in the book (per Ruben)and DONT be tempted to keep the base off to "watch the film"
Colin

Dear Peter,

Apparently you have not learnt how to post.

If you receie an e-mail of interest, click the entry at the bottom "Jump to this page". You will then be directed to your internet browser and at the bottom of that pagec you will find where to post your message.

Justin Scott

I've had M6's for more than 10 years, and an M7 for 12 months. I have had more misloads with the M7 in that time than I ever had with either of my M6's. I have put it down to kinks in the film leaders, combined with the DX lugs holding the film canister too tightly to allow the necessary "play" when loading.

Regards,

Bill

Back