Leica 3070mm F35

G

Has anyone had any experience with this lens..how does it compare? Thanks....

G

Dear Harold,

I have owned this lens for over ten years. Had it serviced at Solms a few years ago. On the recommendation of Erwin Puts bought the new 1:4/35-70 and cannot distinguish the difference. I am sure on an optical bench there is an improvement, however with 16"x24" prints or projected by a 100x factor it is identical.

I am now deciding which one to sell!

Best wishes.

Justin

G

With most of us printing at 16"x24" or smaller, does that mean that it is more advisable to get the older lens at a lower price? Just curious.

G

With most of us printing at 16"x24" or smaller, does that mean it is advisable to buy older lenses at a lower price? Answer: It depends on the lens. Some of the older lenses I prefer. Some of the current are fabulous.

davidl

Notice that there are 67mm thread (Germany) and 60mm thread (Japan) in f3.5 35-70mm VARIO ELMAR-R zoom. Any big difference between these two version? Many thanks.

C

Craig24

David

I dont know much about these lenses, but I beleive the 35-70 f/3.5 VarioElmar (updated version introduced c.1988)had E67 filter thread. The current version 35-70 f/4 VarioElmar has an E60 filter thread. I cant remember if either of these lenses were/are made in Japan for leica.

Hope this info is helpful, craig

lct

The "German" E67 is said to be better than the "japanese" E60 but both were made in Japan if i remember well.
The German (under) is more expensive too.

H

hektor

Dear David,

The optical cells of both f/3,5 are identical.

The only difference was the mount; The E67 did not rotate and thus was easier to use with the polarising filter.

All 35-70 lenses are Japanese and very good.

Best wishes,

Justin

H

hektor

Dear LCT,

The E67 lenses were made in Japan but mounted in Germany, hence the rather misleading representation.

Justin

jlow

Hi Justin

Totally agree - I purchased the first series 35-70 made by Minolta for Leica SLR - and still have it. Joseph Low / Singapore

tigerish

>Talking about lenses made in Japan, does anyone know the Sigma for Leica >APO 50-200mm f3.5-4.5? I was told that this lens was 'unauthorised' and >had to be withdrawn because Leitz threatened to go to Court.

If this is so, I wonder how Tamron are able to continue manufacturing their Leica ADAPTALL mount? (referred to in a recent post)

Regards

H

hektor

Dear Francis,

I have not heard of the Sigma 50-200. Can you tell us more please?

Kind regards,

Justin

tigerish

>Well, apart from the fact that I have the lens, and IMHO it's superior to >the Leitz zooms (which are now made by Sigma???) I can answer questions? I >believe it dates from the early 1970s and then was discontinued.

C

Craig24

A question to clarify the discussion on the recent history of the Vario-Elmar 35-70. The f3.5 lens had an E60 filter thread and was fully made in Japan.

The lens mount was then redesigned (intro 1988) with the front barrel no longer rotating. (the optical system was not changed just the mount) As a result the filter thread size was increased to E67. This lens was made in Japan but assembled in Germany. Thus, engraved “Germany†instead of “Japanâ€.

The current (intro 1997) f4 35-70 Vario-Elmar has gone back to the E60 thread size. Is it also made in Japan but assembled in Germany?

Is this a correct summary of the Vario-Elmar 35-70?

Thanks in advance, Craig

H

hektor

Yes Craig,

I think the f/3.5 optical cell was a Minolta design and the f/4.0 designed at Solms but the cell made by Sigma in Japan and shipped to Germany for assembly.

Justin

H

hektor

Dear David,

There is no such thing as Leica glass. The glass lab at Wetzlar was closed in the late eighties.

Justin