CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Leica 35 f2 vs 35 f14

vishalvora

Dear all,

It seems that no one wants to sell me a 35mm f2! I have found a late pre-ASPH 35mm f1.4 in great shape but just wanted to know if there was a a real difference in sharpness. The extra stop of light would be good but I really just want a nice compact lens. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Vishal.

J

jgea

Dear Vishal,
The 40mm f:2 Summicron that was made for the Leica CL is an extremely compact lens very similar in size to the pre-asph 35mm summicron. The lens is relatively easy to find for no more than $300 (the Minolta version can be found new for $325). Of corse, it is 40mm and not 35, but I have read somewhere that the quality is not terribly inferior. I like mine very much.

Stephen Gandy's cameraquest website has been most informative for me regarding all things Leica:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

As compact lenses go, the new Cosina-Voigtlander 35mm looks as compact as the classic Leica lens...Of course, it is not Leica and it is f:2.5. A new version ($100 more expensive than the previous one) just came out:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I would like to have a 35mm Summilux, but they are really expensive. Good luck!

Juan

H

hektor

Dear Vishal,

Like all lenses you will not notice any difference from f/2.8 and the extra stop is nice to have in reserve when needed. At f/1.4 it is low contrast and not as good as its 50mm brother, however still a very good lens.

Justin

Hi Vishal,
Many years ago when my 35mm F2 was broken, I made the mistake of buying the F1.4. In my opinion its a terrible lens - great for low light, but very flat with no punch. The F1.4 ASPH was much better, but neither of 1.4s got close to the quality I got from my cheap little Canadian 35mm F2. If you can wait, I suggest you do until you find one. Around a week ago Jacobs in New Oxford Street (London) had a 35mm F2. Give them a call and say I sent you; ask for Donal and you may even get a deal!

Edmond

vishalvora

Hey Edmond,

I know Donal and Barry from Jacobs, I have been told that this lens is on loan to someone else, they are trying before buying! Thanks for the info though, I'll keep looking. I really want the f2, Aperture have a few f1.4s and one f2 ASPH but I want the mark 4 (pre-ASPH) one.

Many thanks,

Vishal.

...what a small world!!!

Be patient
happy.gif
and you will be rewarded with the f2!

Edmond