DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS

leegold

I have the:

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Zoom Lens on order. But I'm second guessing myself. I read now the "ex" lenses are sharper. My idea was to have a very sharp lens. But as I read more - zooms w/a wide range are not sharp and "ex" sigma lens are sharper. Maybe this is over generalization...

Photos made w/the lens on the web seem acceptable...

Lee G.

I've been in the same quandary after ordering a lens. :z04_schlaumeier: Actually, the last three orders I CANCELED after the order, so that I could sit back and do more reviewing on the lenses, because there were possibly better versions out there.

Of course, depending on who you ordered it from, you could go ahead and take some shots with the lens, and then return it if it's not what you want.

A tough call either way. Good luck!

Actually there seem to be two versions of the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Zoom Lens on the market.
The older one stops the OS-function after a few seconds,no noise is heard,
and the moving part of the lens seems to stay in a "parkposition" untill the
shutter-button is activated for focussing again.
The newer version has the OS activated all the time,even if the OS-switch is OFF.It looks like the moving elements are held in a 0-position,rather than in
"parking".
The later version also has some problems if used in conjunction with the internal flash.
I own the older version and have had no problems so far.
In comparison to a 28-70mm EX and a 70-200mm EX the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Zoom Lens behaves quite well.
It is not as sharp as the EXes, but only marginal.
For me the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Zoom Lens is a good alternative in day-to-day use.
Regards
Uwe

Hi,

It is probably a fair generalization to make. The more you try to make a lens do, there is always a comprise. The EX series are the top quality of the Sigma line of lenses. My personal experience: I like the 18-200 that I have and have been very happy with the image quality. And am also very happy with the range of the zoom. My lens came with a kit and I think that if it didn't, I would have purchased it for a walk around lens that is useful for all occasions. The OS that the lens has is also very useful. The lens does spend a lot of time on the camera body. Since the lens goes from wide to adequately long, and has good quality, it is my choice when I go for my nature walks and I don't want to lug several different lens or don't specifically know the subject that I will be shooting.

On the other hand, certain lens perform certain tasks better. Enter EX series. However, I have taken beautiful photos with my 18-200. It does not disappoint.

good luck with your purchase,

Robert

18-200 OS is a good vacation/hiking lens

I have the:

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Zoom Lens on order. But I'm second guessing myself. I read now the "ex" lenses are sharper. My idea was to have a very sharp lens. But as I read more - zooms w/a wide range are not sharp and "ex" sigma lens are sharper. Maybe this is over generalization...

Photos made w/the lens on the web seem acceptable...

Lee G.

At one time, most serious photographers used primes (fixed focal length). The zoom lenses of that era had lots of distortion and were not sharp. Today, the computer generated designs coupled with advances in lens materials and construction have narrowed the gap. Today's zooms are, for the most part, as sharp or sharper than those legacy lenses. Is there a difference between EX and non-EX glass? Yes, but for most, those differences will not be a factor. The 18-200mm DC OS is quite capable of great images and is definitely a good vacation or walk about lens. You can cover the range with a couple of great EX lenses, but they will weigh more and be larger (both of which are not welcome for a family vacation or for hiking/backpacking). For hiking/backpacking, this is my lens of choice, along with the 30mm f/1.4 EX for low light shots or when I want a very shallow DOF. The entire combo is much lighter than my E-3 and the 12-60 plus 50-200 SWD lenses (which is my bad weather outfit and for birds in flight - much faster focusing than the Sigma).

Wayne

Is there a difference between EX and non-EX glass? Yes, but for most, those differences will not be a factor.

I too have been wondering about EX lenses. I have a 18-50mm DC, but saw there was also an EX version. Could you elaborate a little on for whom the differences would be a factor?

Thanks!

Attachments

• -Die Katze-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Die Katze-.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 28
  • -Entenküken-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Entenküken-.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 29
  • -Eichhörnchen2-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Eichhörnchen2-.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 27
  • -Sittich-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Sittich-.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 31
  • -Das doppelte Vogelhaus-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Das doppelte Vogelhaus-.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 24
  • -Der Schönste-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Der Schönste-.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 23
.....the eagle is 1/13s !!! @ 200mm focal length freehended! The shot would not have been possible without the OS-function.

View attachment 1535

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• -Heiss-kalt-gefährlich-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Heiss-kalt-gefährlich-.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 28
I too have been wondering about EX lenses. I have a 18-50mm DC, but saw there was also an EX version. Could you elaborate a little on for whom the differences would be a factor?

Thanks!

Well,

the 18-50mm DC 3.5-5.6 is always considered low quality. The DP1-lens for example is always considered highest quality..... and it is!

I once compared an SD14 + 18-50 (cheap version without EX!) with a DP1. I had the 18-50 at 4.0 of course and at 18mm.

View attachment 1536 View attachment 1537

CROPS:

View attachment 1538 View attachment 1539

I am not going to tell you which one is the "high quality" DP1-shot and which one is the "lowest quality" 18-50mm shot.

But ... I will give you a tipp .... Both shots are F:4.0 ...1/50s .... ISO100

As it turned out .... the DP1 cheats with 4.0 aperture .... its images are clearly darker than the SD14 + kit-lens results. :)

Do you any longer believe, that the 18-50mm kit-lens is low quality?!

Some more examples:

Attachments

• Sample 6.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 6.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Sample 3.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 3.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Sample 5.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 5.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Sample 2.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 15

SD14: View attachment 1540 DP1 View attachment 1541

SD14 CROP from the above: View attachment 1542

DP1 Crop from the above: View attachment 1543

Conclusion:

I have SIGMA EX lenses and I have SIGMA NON EX lenses. A lens without this label does not have to be bad at all. The 18-50mm KIT-lens is much more than waste. :) .... as I say and as image results prove.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• sample 22.jpg
    EXIF
    sample 22.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
  • sample 21.jpg
    EXIF
    sample 21.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 11
  • sample 23.JPG