CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Leica cm

mlford

Does anyone know as whether or not you get a very high quality poster size print using the leica cm with its improved summarit 2.4 lens, using slow speed film such as fujichrome velvia 50, kodachrome 64 and agfachrome rsx 50 or 100.

gob

It has the same lens as the minilux. Don't know what your frame of references is but I'm sure the print quality would be equivalent to other good quality 35mm prime lenses.

saspencr

i have the minilux and my slides look great under a loupe to me. the only slides i can compare directly to are from my contax g2. the largest i've printed is 8x10 but this is just a limitation of my printer right now. cheers, scott

nzoliver

Hello Scott!

Another G2/Minilux owner! How many can there be? Leica could maybe take a hint! Or is that the CM???

Merry Christmas

Oliver O'Connell

saspencr

Hi Oliver. How do you like this combination? I like the G2 but it won't fit into a pocket and sometimes that's what is needed...hence the Minilux. I'm waiting to find out whether there is better control over the EV in the CM. They should have made a dial and EV lock like in the G2, in my opinion. If I find another P&S will better manual controls like the G2 has, but smaller, I'll probably try it out.

Cheers, Scott

>If I find another P&S will [with] better manual
>controls like the G2 has, but smaller, I'll
>probably try it out.

It's called the Contax T3.

faria

Or for even more portability it is called Ricoh GR1 ( 28mm versus 35mm for those who like wide spaces ).

nzoliver

Ah yes, but thet ain't Leicas are they!!

Scott, I find the combo very good at the moment. I will look at the CM and see. Possibly still need both. Next time I travel, I might put print film in the Minilux and my usual slide on the Contax intead of slide in both. }}

faria

Yes they ain´t Leica!! My GR1 does not live up to the Leica performance although build quality and slim design are both extremely nice.

Here's a lengthy user review of the CM:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The reviewer implies that the CM is about the same size as the old Yashica T4. Hmmmm? With program shift on the CM, it looks attractive, if only the price weren't prohibitive. The CM and GR1 would make a nice travel combo with a 28mm and 40mm lens available.

H

hektor

Dear John,

I tried the GR1 as a travel companion for my Minilux (same lens as the CM). Unfortunately the slides taken with the GR1 were too harsh to be interposed with those from the Minilux and I disposed of the GR1.

Justin

H

hektor

Dear Graham,

The limits of contrast without subtlety. The GR1 has a contrasty lens which seems unable to cope with bright scenes having maximum contrast. To give two dimensional photographs an impression of depth I favour backlit situations. Leica lenses are quite amazing in their ability to record both the highlights and shadows without losing detail. The GR1 does not.

If I lived in Europe it may not be so apparent, however in the bright Australian sunlight looking for contrast is rarely a problem.

Ernst Haas once remarked that he favoured Leica lenses because they had contrast without being harsh.

Regards,

Justin

H

hektor

To answer the original posting, I have printed 16" x 24" poster prints for the the Minilux/CM Summarit which are flawless. The size is limited by the film rather that the superb lens. I suspect my home-made lens-hood helps with certain lighting situations. The Summarit is as good as my prime Leica lenses, and in some cases better.

D

dexterss

That I can say it's truely flawless. I verified the very fine grain with my enlarger magnifier. Minilux is definitely Leica quality. CM, I don't know.

I've had no trouble with "harshness" from my GR1's lens. I find it very "Leica-like" in color and contrast.

I've looked at the pics and specs. on the CM and I don't see how one invokes its "Program Shift" mode. Or is this just marketing speak for the Program mode?

N

nelmo

Hi,
Program Shift – Leica CM

To change the set speed/aperture combination, while continuing to hold down the shutter release button, turn the main control dial (18) to the left (anticlockwise) for faster shutter speeds and larger apertures, or to the right for slower speeds and smaller apertures.

Instructions, p. 84

saspencr

Whhoooo, wait a minute! Does the CM have full manual control capability? I.e., does it allow you to set BOTH aperture AND shutter speed??? If so, I'm selling the minilux and buying it. I don't know another tiny camera that lets you do that easily if at all.

B

billpalmer

Scott, you have full control over aperture, and through the program shift function you can adjust the shutter/aperture combination. EV over-ride can also be set, remember. This level of manual control is exceptional for a camera this small, and is one of the reasons for my trading in my trusty T2 for it.

Regards,

Bill

saspencr

I missed a beautiful shot w/ the minilux the other day because EV override was too limiting. could you explain better your statement, "through the program shift function you can adjust the shutter/aperture combination"? Let's take an ex&le. Let's say I set f/5.6. The camera gives 1/1000 sec. I need 1/60 sec. Is it possible, through this program shift, to set 5.6 and 1/60? I've never used a "program shift" in a camera before. All the best, Scott