DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Strange movement on Summicrons ap ring

mattj

Dear Friends:

I have a "new" Leica's 35 mm summicron. It is a fine piece of glass and I enjoy it dearly. My question is in regarding to the aperture ring. When I control f stops I can easily move around the scale (resistance is similar as on my elmar so I know it's all right) but I can go under f/2.0 and than beyond f/16. Aperture ring will click on f/2 for ex&le and if I was about to go further down it will move about 1 mm and can stay in that position, same goes for f/16. When I look at the aperture blades at the same time I see that extra movement of the ring causes them to open up a bit too, so it's not like the ring is slipping. It's funny because I call it Matt's special edition Summicron f/1.999 to 16.111 lens but I get really great results with it so I don't think it's defective. I don't find it annoying while shooting but it's little weird. Is this something to worry about? Thanks for your help,

Matt Jachyra
http://brunerdog.tripod.com

>Matt the >f/1.999 to f 16,111 feature is on my 35 mm non asph summicron to - its a secret picture boosting facillity - when you really need the extra light or when you are really one feet short in depth of field you simply activate the 1,9999 and the 16,1111 - I would like to se canon or nikon master that feature! - regards

Matt, I have an old Canadian 50mm Summicron that does the same thing, though only in the f16 direction. It must make an appreciable aperture difference because when I move it that extra little bit, the light meter adjusts accordingly. I don't know, it might be a third or even half a stop.

ciao, garth liebhaber

Dear Friends:

I have a "new" Leica's 35 mm summicron. It is a fine piece of glass and I enjoy it dearly. My question is in regarding to the aperture ring. When I control f stops I can easily move around the scale (resistance is similar as on my elmar so I know it's all right) but I can go under f/2.0 and than beyond f/16. Aperture ring will click on f/2 for ex&le and if I was about to go further down it will move about 1 mm and can stay in that position, same goes for f/16. When I look at the aperture blades at the same time I see that extra movement of the ring causes them to open up a bit too, so it's not like the ring is slipping. It's funny because I call it Matt's special edition Summicron f/1.999 to 16.111 lens but I get really great results with it so I don't think it's defective. I don't find it annoying while shooting but it's little weird. Is this something to worry about? Thanks for your help,

Matt Jachyra

Back