DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M to R adapter

M

msc

Can anyone give me please information about the characteristics of the M to R adapter Nº 14167 ?
- Does it changes the focal lenght of the M lense when used on an R ?
- Are focusing distances modified ?( does it focus to infinity and does it preserve minimum focusing distance?)
- Is there a place in the web with more information about it ?
Thanks.
Mariano

Dear Mariano,

I have been using the above adaptor for many years.

- It does not change the focal length of the M lens when used on an R;

- It does not modify the focusing distances in any way

The only limitation is that it must be used in one of the aperture priority modes.

How do you propose to use it?

Justin

>Ciao Mariano

I am using the 14167 in conjunction with the 16466 (UOBIO) to mount the Visolflex designed Hektor 125/2.5 lens. With these two adapters in place I am able to use the Hektor on my SL2 with normal focussing etc.

If you need more technical assistance - recommend you refer to Justin Scott - who advised me in the first instance.

Joseph Low from Singapore

Thanks all for your answers. Justin: I want to buy an R body , probably an R5 as I feel it has good specs and reasonable S/H price. The idea is to adquire long focal lenses for the R ( 180 and later perhaps 280 ) but to be able to use my M lenses on it because I do not want to duplicate the system. On those ocassions I know I will need a long focal lense the idea is to carry the R but some standard M lenses also. Why cannot the adapter work in manual mode ? If you have experience with R bodies, do you think the R5 is a good choice or would you go for another model ? Thanks and regards Mariano

Dear Mariano,

The R5 is the best value for money around at the moment. The R7 is a little better, but not a great advantage at twice the price.

What focal length M lenses do you have?

Justin

PS Joseph I didn't know you were on this Forum.

P.S. Forgot. There is no reason why the adaptor cannot also be used in manual mode.

Dear Justin:

I have the following M lenses: 24 f2,8 , 35(Voigt f1,2) , 50 f2 , 90 f2,8 and a 135mm f2,8 that is so cumbersome for me to carry that I do not use a lot.... those eyes are difficult to fit in a bag.

Mariano

Dear Justin: Please confirm me that I have been a fool. The info of the S/H M to R adapters only said "to use your M lesnses on R cameras". That is why I wondered how could the lenses focus to infinity with an extender. I realize now that it must only refer to visoflex M lenses. My only plea is that it was a nice dream. The idea of compatibility between M lenses and R bodies is very appealing to me...... though technically impossible I imagine because of the distance from last element to film . Sorry . Mariano

I once had the opposite: the 22228 which allows one to put R lenses on M bodies. This allows infinity focus -- but of course does not provide rangefinder focussing. Very usable with wide angles.

Dear Mariano,

You are being a bit hard on yourself. It is a reasonably sought after item and if you don't have any Visoflex lenses just sell it on eBay.

Regards,

Justin

Back