DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M42 to SD14 adapters

leegold

The option to use M42 lenses seems awesome. Could anyone link me to what in their opinion are the best adapter(s)? There are a few on the "market"...

Also I read the Sigma mount changed to SD10 to SD14. Is this a factor for M42 adapters? Wouldn't the spec change slightly?

Thanks,

Lee G.

Lee,

The general consensus is that the Polish-made adapter is one of the better ones available. I purchased a less expensive Chinese-made adapter and it's quite cheap. It also can get stuck on the mount, which isn't fun for anyone. I am going to order this Polish one instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250403759500

Hope that helps. Also, I don't think the mount changed on the SD14. I think the dust filter is a bit closer to the lens, which may affect a very slight percentage of lenses that protrude deep into the SD14 body.

Cheers,

-Collin-

Hi Lee,
I think there's a thread on that issue in this forum somewhere.
There are couple different ones, the only one I bought was one from China. It was garbage, very cheaply made, it was a Pentax K mount and they just assumed that an SD 14 would take it. It had rust on it. There are Polish ones, and ones from Hong Kong that I've heard good things about. There's also the JTAT. Which is $80 US.

I returned the adapter I bought and tried to explain that they were selling trash but they didn't seem to care.

I swear I replied to this thread, but I guess I closed it without hitting submit!

Agreed that the Polish ones are great, as is the JTAT version if you can afford it. The Chinese one I had was garbage and I think I got the exact same one you are speaking of! It says M42-PK on it, and it jammed a lens on my camera so tight that I was barely able to get it off. It was very nerve-racking and I think it may have messed up the threads on my beloved SMC 50mm f/1.4! I have a Polish one on order now, and it was $27 shipped from eBay.

-Collin-

Haha,
I didn't see your post when I replied. I think we did get the same Chinese made one. Mine had rust on it! Ridiculous...

Haha,
I didn't see your post when I replied. I think we did get the same Chinese made one. Mine had rust on it! Ridiculous...

Mine was from Virtual Village and I'm in the process of negotiating for the CORRECT one. I'm not paying $40 for it, though, when I had to wait two weeks for this one and it almost destroyed my lens and lens mount. I expect some sort of discount here!

-Collin-

Yup, that's who I went through, I think they're based in Canada but they ship their stuff from Shanghai China, at least that's where mine came from. I sent it back and got a refund plus the shipping I had to pay to send it over.

I guess when the time comes for an adapter I will stay away from the chinese one. People seem to like the polish one, but some say it doesn't allow infinity focus - but the ebay listing guarantees infinity focus. Which is correct? Was there an earlier polish adapter that didn't allow infinity?

Mine was from Virtual Village and I'm in the process of negotiating for the CORRECT one. I'm not paying $40 for it, though, when I had to wait two weeks for this one and it almost destroyed my lens and lens mount. I expect some sort of discount here!

-Collin-

It happened the same to me. The Virtual Village ad was wrong, they stated a SIGMA adapter and priced the PK one. Initially I didn't notice this until them arrived. (I bought two of them). To be honest, the VV people took care of the replacement (they send me only one because the price of the SIGMA was double of the PK) and allowed me to keep the PK ones for free... That is not bad for my Pentax boxes :)
Even with this fair compensation, the VV adapter is bulky and sticks too hard to the camera body. The outer diameter is smaller than the polish one, so removing it is more difficult.
I'd recommend the polish one without hesitation.

Regards.

Jes.

I guess when the time comes for an adapter I will stay away from the chinese one. People seem to like the polish one, but some say it doesn't allow infinity focus - but the ebay listing guarantees infinity focus. Which is correct? Was there an earlier polish adapter that didn't allow infinity?

Mine does allow for infinity focus, at least with the lenses I've tried: Flekto 35m 2.8, Weltblick 135mm, Industar 61. I don't expect infinite focusing problems at all.

Regards.
Jes.

Back