DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Greetings from Wodonga...

foveonfan

Hello All!

Here is my first digital B&W image. Hope you like it.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Attachments

• Main Range.jpg
    EXIF
    Main Range.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 15
Hi Jim,

nice to see you "with a nice picture"! :) And it really is!

I so much like landscape pictures .... and I envy you for having the opportunity to take such impressive pictures. I live under densely populated conditions .... :(

Well ... nature and landscape are not exactly impossible .... but not at hands at the first sight.

However ... there are opportunities ... Uwe knows this place ... :)

SIGMA SD9 /SIGMA 10-20mm EX DC

View attachment 377

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• sample 7.jpg
    EXIF
    sample 7.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the kind comments! Yes Uwe, it is an abstract. It is only a tiny part of a mountain range that spread before me in about 160 degrees of field vision. The part would have been less than 5 degrees and I used my 50-500mm, fully extended. The attached file is a little closer, without the white matting and title.

Sincere regards, JR

Attachments

• Main Range Plain.jpg
    EXIF
    Main Range Plain.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello Jim,

it is even much more impressive this way ... that is ... without the frame!

Actually, I am trying to convince our admin to find a sollution that our pictures are presented on a dark grey forum-background (I do not really like the bright white forum-canvas!).

Further, I have thougt about "digital" picture frames again and again.

In my gallery no single picture has a frame.

http://www.galerie.camera-info.de/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5502

(sorry, my English gallery still is under construction...:))

Frames may carry the risc that you distract fom the picture itself ... well I am still thinking and watching .... :confused:

Another point ......

B&W pictures???

Since 1999 I have been in digital photography! :)
I started up in 1997 .... although not really convinced!! In 1999 I got my Olympus Camedia C1400 L which made me firmly believe that digital was the future ... This camera (which was really expensive in those days and took me severe negotiations with my wife ... :)) was my personal breakthrough to digital photography.

The computer then replaced my conventional darkroom and "brought me up" to the daylight when developing my photos.

What am I driving at?!

Well, I also did quite a number of colour photos in my former conventional darkroom. Most of may work really was black and white! First, because colours used to be expensive ... secondly ... because B&W was much quicker..... thirdly??????

Did I like it?! Do I like it?! Honestly, .... I do not know! :confused:

My gallery does not contain just one single B&W picture.

(Maybe this is, because the SIGMA SDs are such wonderful colour cams?!)

For the sake of pure logic ... B&W means doing without considerable image information, which a colour picture contains.
So, why this decision, when colours do not cost a penny?!

Jim's landscape above is a graceful B&W-photo ..... for sure!

Jim .....,

Do you have this picture in colours as well?

Could you show us this picture in colours for comparism?!

What made you decide on B&W?

Many questions .... put by someone ... who unlearned B&W.:z04_augenroll:

See you with nice (B&W) pictures

Klaus

Hi, Klaus!

Interesting, reading your observations.

I would like to respond with mine. True, there is always the danger that a frame will distract. I chose to apply a white frame because I consider it to complement the image itself, isolating it when viewed on my monitor.

I have only been using digital cameras for a little over 2 years. It was the Foveon technology that made sense to me, together with the simplicity of the Sigma camera. No "bells and whistles". I cannot stand to lose control of my picture taking process, having to rely on what a software engineer thinks the camera must do to interpret the information before it. Really, that "sucks" big time! I am intelligent enough to make up my own mind, thank you.

I also did colour and B&W printing in my own darkroom, spending many hours in that dungeon, sometimes full days. Oh, the sacrifices! :)

Anyway, this time, with this image, I chose B&W because it increased the intensity of the composition. The colour, because of its scarecity due to the patchy lighting, was a distraction in my opinion.

Incidentally, I stayed at that remote location for almost a complete day and I feel I was rewarded with a few interesting pics, including this one. It was a location I found last summer and I thought, "this needs snow!"

Watching the clouds create their effects contributed to my experience here and at times my emotions were really on edge as I witnessed nature "at work" on this scene. I always try to connect my heart and my camera together with my mind and observational processes.

Anyway, here is the colour , full frame image.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Attachments

• Main Range Colour.jpg
    EXIF
    Main Range Colour.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi Jim,

thanks for your answer!

Hmmm... The colour version is very nice, too! :z02_respekt: It somehow "feels" colder ... does't it? I cannot say, which version finally is more attractive.

Observation:

You underlined the sky slightly (B&W-shot)?!

In earlier days I would have done that with a RED-FILTER. Now we have easier digital skills.

However, both versions very much appeal to me ... maybe ... I should do some future B&W experiments. ;)

See you with such nice pictures Jim!

Klaus

Back