DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

35-70 = waaaay past infinity focus

MaxBerlin

Got a new 35-70 today and it's really sharp - easy to use - easy to focus.

The thing is ∞ using the lens occurs around the 5m mark which is a hell of a long way from the ∞ mark on the lens. Just to be certain I wasn't absolutely nuts, I refitted everything - Novoflex and NEX7 and also tried it out on some distant objects and a 167. Same results.

Another thing is changing the zoom requires major refocusing. This isn't always the case in my recollection of using 40-80, 28-85 etc. About to go check.

The lens is great, seems almost completely unused - no signs of having been dropped - no scratches - etc Came in box and unfilled warranty, just like new.

Are my observations normal for this lens ? TIA

Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm

Got a new 35-70 today and it's really sharp - easy to use - easy to focus.

The thing is ∞ using the lens occurs around the 5m mark which is a hell of a long way from the ∞ mark on the lens. Just to be certain I wasn't absolutely nuts, I refitted everything - Novoflex and NEX7 and also tried it out on some distant objects and a 167. Same results.

Another thing is changing the zoom requires major refocusing. This isn't always the case in my recollection of using 40-80, 28-85 etc. About to go check.

The lens is great, seems almost completely unused - no signs of having been dropped - no scratches - etc Came in box and unfilled warranty, just like new.

Somethig is radically wrong with the lens itself.

Reads like someone took

OK - I just checked against the 40-80 and the 28-85. They basically stay in focus as you go from one end of the range to the other but forget about using the scales as any kind of standard - the 40-80 measures 1.75 m while the 28-85 was at 2 m.

The 35-70 was at 1.5m @ 70mm and read 1m @35mm.

Another observation and apologies for not knowing the terminology but when changing the zoom from 70-35 on the 35-70 the outer assembly initially lags the forward movement of the focusing ring as it is moved straight forward then matches it and then accelerates towards the final 1/3 of the movement. This seems odd too.

Everything else seems silky smooth on this lens - no play or rattles. Seems fine other than these quirks.

Sorry Bill -

This was all that came through on your post

Somethig is radically wrong with the lens itself.

Reads like someone took

Hi Max,

Sorry.  I am in Tokyo and re-learning the Japanese keyboard.

Anyways check to be sure you don‘t have the lens part way into macro mode.

If you do not have the info sheet to see how to do this, download it from the Zeiss website. Sorry I do not know where to find the copy button on a Japanese windows machine.

Bill

The Macro function appears to be operating as designed. All of the photos the lens takes are exceptional just these operating issues.

Hi Max,

Try switching between macro and normal a few times, turning a bit firmly to insure you are fully engaged in normal mode. The lens should be set to 35mm and .7m focus distance while doing this. If this does not correct the problem, your lens needs serious repair and you may want to return it to the seller.

Sorry to read you are having such a problem.

Bill

The macro function engages and disengages without issue. The photographs in the macro range are clear and in the wide angle and near range are also clear.

The only 'real' issues are

a) that infinity is at less than 2m when at 35mm and just over 5m when at 70mm.

b) major refocusing is needed when going from 35 to 70 or 70 to 35.

Is this the behavior others have with their 35-70 ? Thanks

Back