DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Another free X3F-RAW-Converter

Guest .

Banned
Hi All,

I just found out that there is another RAW-Converter available for free.

It can work RAWs of very many different camera brands ... most important ...it also works our X3F-type raws.

Its name is UF-RAW.

View attachment 1062

Installation on the most popular computer plateform was awkward.

The point is, that UFraw depends on quite a number of DLL-files that are part of GIMP (which is a free Image processing software).

Although UF-RAW works as a stand-alone programme it requires former installation of GIMP.

It might be possible then to uninstall GIMP as the DLLs normally stay in the WINDOWS directory but I did not try this out since GIMP looks quite interesting.

Most annoying is, that there are a lot of different versions of either GIMP or UFraw available on the internet. Both must cooperate. I did an awful lot of testing until I got a running combination.

In order to spare you that fiddling, I am now posting the "running" links.

GIMP 2.6.4 + UFRAW 1.15

GIMP:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

UFraw:

http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=127649&sel_platform=3514

XP-Users need SP2!

The MAC-installation is said to be without any difficulties (I just read so!)

Enjoy if you like! I have no experience with it so far ... who has?!:)

Post your findings please!

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 5.JPG
    EXIF
    Sample 5.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 40
Hi Klaus!
Thanks for the pointers, seem interesting. BTW I've got the GIMP permanently installed on my PC since version 2.6 because it supports 16bit RGB values (the 2.4 did support only 8bit RGB values). Now is a valid (and free) alternative to Photoshop.

Kind regards.
Jes.

Well, The GIMP is new to me ... I will have to get myself informed. Value for money seems promissing ... since money is zero. :)

Klaus

Keep in mind that ufraw only supports the SD9/10/14, not the DP1, and it doesn't do as good a job as SPP or Adobe in my opinion. Also, The GIMP doesn't do anything close to what Photoshop can do, even PS Elements. But it is free.

Hi Kakou,

I am a beginner with UFRAW. Have you got picture results to compare it with other conveters?

Klaus

Unfortunately, not anymore. I experimented with dcraw a while ago with various raw files including Sigma and found it to be slow and generally not as good and nowhere near as flexible as Adobe's converter. I recall things like not as much detail in the shadows. And as I mentioned, it won't do the DP1.

I do not have windows. I am a linux user and have been using dcraw and gimp (Gimp is my default editor). Via wine (www.[B]wine[/B]hq.org) I can use SPP and also Arcsoft Photostudio Darkroom to process X3F files.
For me, SPP or Photostudio Darkroom give better results than UFRAW and dcraw.

I have attached 3 images , processed from UFRAW, SPP and photostudio Darkroom.
1st image -- ufraw
2nd image -- photostudio
3rd image -- spp

Attachments

• SDIM1007.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM1007.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 54
  • SDIM1007_ps.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM1007_ps.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 62