DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Indoor church light

toisondor

I took my SD14 into Saint Eustache in Paris. Many pleasant surprises.

#1) ISO 50 with 18-50mm EX macro (@31mm) 10 seconds at f22.
I clamped the camera to a chair and used the sigma cable release. I was there during organ practice, and every time the organist hit a low note, I felt vibrations through the stone floor. Didn't seem to affect the focus, though. (Shooting for the ribs, not the windows):

View attachment 1627

#2) This is a VERY dark chapel and to the eye, it looks like there is very little color that isn't caked in smoke. Clamped the camera to a chair and only 2.5 seconds revealed more color and brilliance than I imagined possible! Same as above (@18mm):

View attachment 1628

#3) Then I thought I'd try some handheld shots at ISO 800:

View attachment 1629
F5.6 1/60s @18mm

I used Photoshop>Despeckle to clean up the little bit of noise in the shadows, then slight Unsharp Mask to bring back the edges. The lighting feels just right to me.

Jesse

Attachments

• StEustache07s.jpg
    EXIF
    StEustache07s.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 25
  • StEustacheChapels.jpg
    EXIF
    StEustacheChapels.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 29
  • StEustache02s.jpg
    EXIF
    StEustache02s.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the comments. I shoot in aperture priority mode with 8-segment metering and I let the camera do the work. I shot some with an EV of +.7, but in the end the straight exposure worked just fine. (I forgot to mention that #2 was at F5.6)

Jesse

rib vaulting is very similar indeed !

like your photos a lot (shouldn't : gives me ideas, and a SD15 wouldn't be sensible at the moment :) )
was in les Halles 3 weeks ago, but neglected to visit Saint Eustache : will do next time : light looks very interesting...

Back