DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma 8 -16mm or 10-20 mm

George1

Hi forgive me if this question has already been asked, but has any one used the 8-16 on an SD15. I orginally had my heart set on the 10-20mm but considering the crop factor of 1.7 gives me an EFL of 17mm against 13.6mm with the 8-16 mm I am wondering if the difference justifies the additional cost.

I have no expereince of either the 10-20 or the 8 -16 and would appreciate any views/thoughts and experiences.

Kind regards

George

George...I would love the 8-16...I have seen some great shots from it...but my pocket book for SA lenses has left me with the 10-20 the older version not the f3.5....and I have been happy with it...I have had three different varieties of this lens...

Nikon/Sony/Sigma....all have been sharp....

For the double in price cost new or used...I could not see the justification for 2mm....but that is just me...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Thanks Tony, I appreciate your thoughts. I do not have especially deep pockets and the impulse to buy drives me towards the 10-20mm. I do not see other than marginal benefit in pushing for the F3.5. I would rather buy a polorising filter and the older model, and I will still have change.

I have seen a lot of good images on the 10-20mm and I would be more than happy to have the older model. My brother has one for his canon 7D and he has been uniformly satisfied and I doubt I would be disapointed.

However if I can hang on a couple of months longer the 8-16mm becomes more of a possibility....... sigh

George...you can have it now and eat your cake... :z04_sabber:

Buy a used one from eBay or one of the other BBS sites...you will probably pay no more than 400USD for it...save up more money...resell it for what you pay for it...and get the 8-16mm then if you still want it...or you might do what I did buy another lens in stead...

Worste case senario...the 10-20 has a focus issue...send it back to Sigma to Spec-Out usually costs about 89USD to do...and you get a tact sharp lens...back...

Just an idea....:daumenhoch_smilie:

Thanks again Tony, I have had a good look on ebay, tremendous number of lenses with canon and nikon fit etc but relatively few for sigma. To be honest what I did see was not especially cheap and some of the new stock was more expensive than I would pay from some of the local retailers.

I think I have settled on the 10-20mm though and will order this week. Hoping for good weather for the weekend, i have a ride planned up to the old lead mines in Swaledale, North Yorkshire, fabulous ruins!

Best wishes

George

George....make sure and post your pictures...would love to see them...

New 8-16 mm

My new 8-16 mm arrived late by a full week and I had to have it delivered to my work address in the end. I Quickly forgot my irritation once I had it unboxed and mounted on my SD15.

It has exceeded my expectations and my initial budget so I will be eating pasta for the rest of the month. I have planned trip to the Snowdonia National Park in just over a week and this lens will be joining my 17-70mm for that trip and I hope to get some landscape and seascapes while there. I guess I will be more used to the characteristics of the lens by the end of the trip. Hopefully I will have a few images worth sharing!

Back