DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Ax doesn`t look focused but the body says it is in focus

Radium

Hi
When I focus in close or mid range the split image in my AX show perfect alignment but when I focus at infinity like scenery the split image is slightly out (image doesn`t fully coincide) but my AX does say it is in focus by the beep sound and the confirmation dot. Is this normal? I also notice with my other Contax film bodies that at infinity in the split image screen I may not get perfect alignment as well. I`ve tried focusing both with my 45mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 lens on my AX. Thanks

Hello Radium, sorry that I missed your post but I've been away for quite some time. Welcome to the Forum.

One BIG question: you mention the 'mismatch' between the camera's and viewfinder's focus indications - how did the photos turn out? If the photos were correctly focused at infinity, then we can start to eliminate some possibilities; it would also be useful to know which other bodies gave you similar issues. By the way, does your eyesight need an adjustment of your dioptre setting?

Cheers.

it is surprising that appear both with different bodies and different lenses.
as fas as i know, this problem can occure with the same body and different lenses. in that case, the problem could be the mirror wich as moved from his original place. or maybe the screen.
but with focusing at infinity, it could be hard to control the right focusing on photos even at wife aperture.

Hi Radium,
i opened a thread to talk about this problem too.
i have the same problem with my AX body. i saw that it happens only with lenses from 50mm to wide angle lenses. it is worse with wide angle lenses. i do not know why.
also have rear focusing trouble at short distance, but in the view finder it seems to be in focus all the time. i exposed a film to check if the problem is the same between manual and auto focusing. i will receive the film tomorrow.

Back