CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lens Caps and hoods

G

I recently bought a Minolta dimage 7i that has a lens hood almost identical to my 24-85 N Vario Sonnar. But the lens cap is so cool. It is designed so that the little tabs are easy to reach for removal/replacement with the lens Hood mounted. they are not on the edge but are close together almost in the center of the face of the cap. Were can I get this sort of lens cap as a replacement for my 24-85. I know it won't say contax on it but it would be very cool. I don't see myself using the lens hood much even though I would like to take advantage of it for reducing flare because it is so hard to remove and replace the lens cap while its mounted and I don't want to be fiddling with the hood when I should be getting the shot.

Anybody have a solution?

G

Kevin:

I didn't like the supplied Contax lens cap either for the 24-85, it is just impossible to work with with the lens hood on. Instead, I bought a Tamron lens cap which you can remove by squeezing the middle part rather than the outside. It fits reasonably well(not perfectly well) although for some reason, the cap only seems to stay in place with the Tamron logo upside down....which I still prefer over fiddling with the original.

G

> "I bought a Tamron lens cap which you can remove by squeezing the middle part rather than the outside. It fits reasonably well(not perfectly well)"

Thanks Otola I'll look for one. Just so you know, I have found a Hama lens cap called the Hama Super Front Lens Cap that works the same way but so far cannot find one larger than 58mm. If I find one the correct size that fits well I'll let you know. Kevin