DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon EOS 33 Elan 7

Thanks Jerry!

I had asked on another Canon forum which 35mm Canon was similar to the 10D, which I bought last summer. Everyone pointed me to the Elan 7. Doing a little research, I saw they were coming out with the 7N/7NE and by the time I decided to get a film camera again it had just become available.

Nothing will replace my 10D (short of me hitting the lottery) and that will go every where I go but I decided, seeing I have all these nice lenses I'd try some film. Doing a search on film, I'm amazed at all the great varieties of film out there. Lots of new stuff! And I've heard people say film is dead ... HA!

I also miss wide angle shots and it seems such a waste paying for a 17-40 L and not getting wide angle with the 10D. The 7NE will be a compliment to my 10D (now if I can just make some money to pay for my addiction, err, I mean hobby :)

Well, I waited for the UPS truck to arrive but it hadn't arrived before I had to leave for work. I'm picturing a brown box, sitting all alone on the kitchen table just waiting for me ... Only 2 hours to go ... 1 hour 59 minutes ...

I've been reading this forum on new Canon film cameras and telling myself that I need to use what I have before doing much more buying! I have owned the Canon Rebel 2000 for about 3 years now and just bought the Digital Rebel (300d). My most recent trip took me to the Ozarks of Missouri where I found myself playing mostly with the new digital Canon. I intend to keep both digital and film working because I participate in a camera club where I can compete with slides and then use the digital images for prints.

I'm convinced that there is still good reason to work with both. I mentioned in another Canon forum that I recently bought the Sigma 500 DH Super flash for about half of the cost of the Canon 550EX and am finding it an excellent alternative.

I am about to purchase extension tubes to increase the usefulness of my macro lens. Has anyone used a non Canon set of extension tubes and found them to work as well? I notice that there is quite a difference in price.

Thanks for your comments, Mary Lou

My wife and I recently took a two week trip to France. I took the G5 and S-50 digitals and shot a total of 704 pictures. Very good results. But it ovewhelmed my computer. I had planned on putting all the shots into a Video CD slide show, but that wasn't working. So off I went to find a local processor who could print them for me. I was not about to print 600+ pictures at home. Ritz took on the job, but the local store didn't have the best gear, so they shipped it off to the next town over where they had a better set up. They did a good job, but got them badly mixed up. So then I had to sort through all the pictures, check for any missing shots and get them in order before they could begin to go into a scrap book.

We returned from the trip on the 4th of May and the pictures are still not in an album because of all the time spent screwing around. Bottom line is that film would have been more convenient. But for smaller batches of up to 50 shots or so, that I can conveniently print at home, digital is much preferred for the speed and spontaneity.

So I see film and digital coexisting here for a long time to come. Film for the large volumes I shoot on trips, digital for smaller batches and for the shots I really want to work with on the PC. I do have a slide and negative scanner, but digital is so much more convenient for PC input, and no dust on the negatives to deal with.

Jerry

Jerry, a friend who is working entirely in digital format, uses www.dotphoto.com for all his digital printing. His digital camera has less than 4 megapixels, yet his enlargements put into competition are spectacular. You might check into this source for printing where you don't want to do your own.

I, too, have a film scanner (Nikon Coolscan IVed) which I have used in the past for printing from slides, but I agree with you that there is no way that a scanned image can compete with a digital one when it comes to "cleanliness". Just think...no dust ever in storing it!

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,
As there is no glass involved in extension tubes I can not see that it would make a lot of difference
john

Back