DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss G lenses vs Zeiss SLR lenses

Is it really cloudy? Or are you using the 21mm + finder too much? The 21 mm finder is VERY bright...so if you used it a lot over time, it is possible that your eye is tricked.

Maybe someone has had a viewfinder get cloudy and can tell us about it.

Ron in New Mexico

David -

Viewfinders can become cloudy over yearsw of use if they are not well sealed. But, this is not real common. When I worked in a camera shop where we had our own repair department, we did get in cameras withcloudy viewfinders. Usually this was dueto separation of the two lenses that make up the front element of the viewfinder. I have even seen this in a Leica. A sharp blow can cause the elements to separate.

Has your viewfinder alwas been cloudy or is this a recent condition? Is the cloudy appearance even over the entire finder or does it vary?

Anybody else had any experience with this?

Jim

> Jim said: David - > > Viewfinders can become cloudy over yearsw of use if they are not well > sealed. But, this is not real common. When I worked in a camera shop > where we had our own repair department, we did get in cameras > withcloudy viewfinders. Usually this was dueto separation of the two > lenses that make up the front element of the viewfinder. I have even > seen this in a Leica. A sharp blow can cause the elements to separate. > > Has your viewfinder alwas been cloudy or is this a recent condition? > Is the cloudy appearance even over the entire finder or does it vary? > > Anybody else had any experience with this? > > Jim

My reply: "My camera is brand new. Only 4 months old. I just looked through the G-2 viewfinder again and the foggy look is more like flare. Worse when looking at a light source. I need to know if I should send it in for warrenty work or if this is normal.

Thanks.

Dave

David,

The viewfinder should be crystal clear and sharp. Faisal suggested adjusting the diopter. The correct way to do this is to point the camera at a wall and adjust the diopter so the autofocus frame is sharp. This, however, will not clear up cloudiness. I suggest you have the camera checked by your dealer and compare with another body. If indeed your viewfinder is cloudy, it needs to be serviced by Kyocera.

Jim

How about something like this

Contax G2 / 45mm F/2 / Tla-200 flash kit $1,249.95
Canon EF 100mm f/2 $364.95
Canon EOS Elan 7 $324.95

=1939.85$ = 3,370.14 NZD
I used US prices from adorama.com.

I use a similar RF/SLR setup which works well for me manly because I rarely feel a need to carry around a lens longer than 50mm for everyday general hand held photography.
As for the Contax zooms vs. canon primes question no mater what brand you choose zooms are bulkier and slower Contax doesn’t even have a constant aperture f/2.8 zoom like Canon or Nikon. As far as I am concerned this cancels out any gains in optical quality you get from CZ glass especially if you are going to hand hold your camera.

Regards,
Faisal

With rebates nearing an end, I still have not decided whether to purchase the G28. I have the N28-85 so the 28 would not enhance my lens range. I have the G45 and see a big difference in sharpness and contrast when comparing 4x6 prints from the 45mm to those taken with the N zoom.

My question: Will I see a similar striking difference with the 28mm? My hesitation to buy the 28 is that I would also buy another G2 body--I do not want to change lens.
I am not considering the 21.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Diane:

I have a G2 + 45mm, and I also don't want to change lenses, so I bought a Ricoh GR1s to cover the 28mm end. The package is much more portable.

In response to Diane's question--I carry extra G lenses in a small waist pack. I can now change any lens in less than 20 seconds. With a little practice, so can you, thus reducing lens changing to only a minor inconvenience. If you want the 28/2.8G, get it. It is a stunningly good lens.

Back