DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N-Digital - the ultimate Contax Fan-Test....

Excellent report Andy. I also was suprized by the final images as I mentioned in my report.

To combat one of the short comings, I've ordered 2 extra battery insets for the camera through Contax parts (it's not an optional item). Of course they don't have them in stock yet, but I put in my order anyway. Plus I now have 4 sets of batteries so when in the field I won't run short. I may need even more. I'm going to try and fit a hoodman rubber cup for outdoor work as the LED is useless in bright light.

Here are a few questions you may be able to answer: Can we use AA Ultras instead of rechargables? Not regular AAs but Ultras. The manual says no AAs as they're not powerful enough, but I wonder if Ultras are?

Also, I noticed that when you select " flash" the color temp seems to warm ?

Lastly. when you select the overexposure warning, the main image doesn't show flashing areas of white out, but the smaller image with the histogram does?? It should be
indicated on the main larger image like the Nikon D1-X don't you think?

I found I could not use the Hoodman on another digital I own. The reason is that my eyes are a bit past middle age and that small "peep hole" just wouldn't let me work. Jack Casner

I picked up my Contax N Digital July 31st of 2002 and am keeping a log of my accomplishments, impressions and problems at www.outbackcoyote.com. Just click on the Contax ND Mini Review. What a great camera. The images all need to be tweeked, but the handling is so much like the N1! I'll be printing out files to an Epson 2000P this weekend as 13 by 19 inch A3 size and will report on the results.

Michael www.outbackcoyote.com

In my report "Further thought on the N Digital" above, I mentioned that the batteries only lasted for 45 Jpeg1 images before the charge ran out.
The camera I tested was a pre-production model, and all cameras sold have a modification which gives vastly increased battery life - 200 to 300 shots apparently.
Those of you who have been following the story will know that there was a last minute specification change, and the cameras released are marginally heavier - this is because internal components were changed to increase battery life.
Hopefully, I'll get hold of a production camera to check this, or perhaps Marc or Michael can comment.

Dear Contaxinfo members!

A couple of weeks ago, many of you asked me to contact Contax regarding the N-Digital for all the issues we have seen and read on the internet so far.

Frazer Allen, the Contax Sales Manager for Kyocera Yashica (UK) Limited, addressed now the major issues with the N-Digital for you in an e-mail. I copied his answer into a new subtopic of the N-Digital.

I hope this is helping you to answer most of your questions.

As far as I know, this is the very first attempt worldwide to start an interaction between you as costumers/potential buyers of Contax and the "producer" Contax. I hope you appreciate that.

dirk

I would like to add that I spoken to Frazer many times and met him at Focus this year. It was Frazer who ensured I got the first Macro Sonnar that came into the UK. Not only is he a very nice chap, he is knowledgable about photography in general, Contax in particular and very open in terms of explaining things and answering issues.

I, for one, am pleased that he has contributed to this forum.

Simon

I would like to get some idea on how easy it is to use the Contax 645 lenses with the NAM-1 adapter on the N Digital. And what is the quality of the results when you use these lenses on the N digital. It would be great to carry only on set of lenses when traveling.

...it is in the other subfolder of the topic Contax Digital cameras. NOT in this thread. I changed the topic name N-Digital to Contax Digital cameras for the things to come
happy.gif

Daniel, the 645 lenses all snap right into place with the Nam-1 adapter. They retain all AE and AF functions as with N lenses. The exception is the multi focus feature of the N camera which does not funtion ( not to be confused with dual focus which it still does ).

The focal length does not increase. A 140/2.8
remains a 140/2.8. But the center glass is what is used, so edge distortion and light fall off is further mimimized especially with W/A lenses. The 645 lenses are larger than the N
glass and are a tad slower focusing, but if you don't have to carry 2 sets of focal lengths, it does cut down on total weight.

Back