DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma, Quantaray, older lenses

Lacyt

Am looking to fill the gap between my wide angle and my long telephoto so have scoped out a very clean manual Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 and the same condition manual Sigma 35-70mm f/2.8. Anyone had any experience with either of these oldies?

Also looking at a Quantaray 28-90mm with green lettering. There are rumors that Quantarays were manufactured for Ritz Camera, some by Sigma, others by Tamron, and that you can discern which is which by the filter size. Doesn't matter to me so much as I'm a hobbyist, but I would like to know anyone's thoughts on this particular Quantaray, too.

I use a Pentax ME Super.
Thanks.

Sorry. The 28-90 Quantaray doesn't have green lettering; that was the 70-300 AF w/macro I was looking at.

The 28-90 has white lettering, a gold ring around the front edge of the front knurled ring, and is Aspherical.

Some Lenses to think about...

A few lenses you might want to look into...

Sigma 20-40mm F2.8
Sigma 20-60mm F2.8

The Sigma 10-20mm is a great wide lens....

And/Or go with a few prime lenses...

Sigma 24mm, 30mm, or 50mm

If memory serves me correct the 28-90mm is an F3.5-5.6...Right..??

Tony C.

Sorry. The 28-90 Quantaray doesn't have green lettering; that was the 70-300 AF w/macro I was looking at.

The 28-90 has white lettering, a gold ring around the front edge of the front knurled ring, and is Aspherical.

LacyT, I'm a bit late to the thread but that lens is a Sigma. Tamron never made a 28-90mm. Honestly, I'd probably avoid it for the very slow f/5.6 at the (modest) tele end. 90mm at f/5.6 just isn't that appetizing, although I'd bet you can get a good deal on it.

Cheers,

-Collin-

Back