DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Crazy used prices

9designs

Is it just me but are sellers on an auction site dreaming ?...... As nice as the N system is, and expensive when new/current it isn't now.
I'd quite like to pick up a few extra lenses, but not at the prices listed.

You see the same items relisted week after week, nobody buys or reaches the reserve price. Shame that these lovely lenses will do nothing more than sit on a dealers shelf collecting dust and seizing up !!!

Any item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, and the market isn't paying sellers..... They are trying to sell expensive glass to a few remaining film users, as I guess there arn't many ND's in use, and then like me only by enthusiast.
A shame and waste.

First success ...... 70-300 with hood 156 GBP !!!! 191 with postage from the US, just the import duty and VAT to pay....
Seems like a very good price to me......

Fingers crossed for the next one :)

9designs, Congratulations on your 70-300 lens. Hope the import, etc does not bump the price up too much. In the past I had considered buying from the USA, thinking second hand/used would be duty free, but I was mistaken. If you check out HMRC on the net you will find info re duties to be paid, etc.
I managed to get the same 70-300 lens from ebay here in UK for a little under what you have paid, and am waiting for it to arrive, together with a Contax N1 (35mm). £2,000 worth of gear (when new) for about 1/10th of that. Must be my lucky week.:)

Hi,
Yeah I think i watched your one to see the market price ;) .... Went for the one in the US as it also has the lens hood, which some are asking as much for as we paid for the lens!!!!!
I have an App that works out the duty so was tracking that as well :)

Had a second success, not a bargain, but also won a mint, boxed 100mm F2.8 Macro..... again the Buy now listings are many and all 550+...Upto a grand for a new one. This one is in Germany and works out about 345 delivered.

So that 2 out of 3 sorted, just a 50mm to find..... Next month I think :)

9designs, My N1 arrived yesterday, and the lens came this morning. Metal hood also with the lens. What an impressive piece of equipment, and the camera, too. The seller found the remote release cable and put that in for free. Waiting for the weather to pick up and then give the combination a try. After using the 167MT, and the AX, I know I will not be disappointed. Both items are in exceptional condition. For what I paid for them almost amounts to a 'give away.'

Hi, Glad to hear your pleased, yes is lovely kit, why I am still continuing with it, despite also owning a Canon 5D.
My 100mm arrived Friday, serious heavy weight piece of prime glass, its in lovely condition....only the slightest of marks on the outside of the barrel.
My 70-300 seems still to be in Customs.... Or the import bill is on the way to me !!.... Once it arrives we can compare notes, see your having a few questions in another thread.
Hope my N Digital is back soon from repair so I can try these out without shoot off rolls of film in the N1.

9design, It would be interesting to know what you eventually pay re import and vat. As I mentioned I had thought of buying from the USA but duty etc put me off. I gather that buying from inside the EU does not attract those 'penalties.'

9design, It would be interesting to know what you eventually pay re import and vat. As I mentioned I had thought of buying from the USA but duty etc put me off. I gather that buying from inside the EU does not attract those 'penalties.'

Hi geordiefred,
Invoice arrived today, bill came to 44.90.... just VAT + Parcelforce 8 pound charge.
Will pick it up tomorrow afternoon..... :)

First film back from the lab using the N1 and 70-300 lens. Satisfied with the photos. A lot of the background (grass) was 'bleached' out. My dark coloured dog was the subject. I did use evaluative(matrix ?) metering for all the shots, I think. Might have been better using centre weighted, and/or spot metering. A lot of people, and even magazines in the past,have suggested that spot metering is not for the faint hearted, but I now realise that there is no difficulty attached to it.
Once I get the hang of the metering with negative film I will then change to slide which I prefer.

Back