DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Z50 Mark III

Zfc here also. Don't plan to get rid of any of my DSLR's, but the Zfc is great and even makes my old F mount lenses better than they were. I just don't think that the electronic viewfinders will ever completely replace ovf for some circumstances. The Zfc comes closer than I expected though. It seems like some just do not like the design of the Zfc, but that's what led me to it as Iove dials for settings. But then found out that its evf and focusing were way way better than older versions. It's my evf D500. :)

If one ignores the body, the Z50 and D500 have very similar specs.
When I am asked "when will Nikon produce a replacement for the D500" and I say they did it is the Z50 the hate I receive is vast -- clearly folk want something more than the Z50 and yet like the pricing.
So what would/could a Z50ii be -- well given the price point it is unlikely to be shutterless or to use the very expensive ultra-fast stacked BSI sensor that is in the Z9 and, probably, the Z8.
Folk seem to want 30+MP and even 40+ in a DX sensor -- well as far as I am aware no Stacked BSI sensor exists for such a high pixel density. Perhaps Nikon are working with Sony SC to develop one -- certainly if Nikon are looking for a Hybrid Camera that works well as a Super-35mm CINE body as well (this is 6.1k 120p+) - then they will want to have a better sensor.
What is less clear to me is whether an Expeed 7 or Expeed 7 (lite) chip will make it into a much lower cost body and what the benefits will be when only writing to a SD card.

We will see the direction of travel when the Z6iii and Z7iii emerge -- both of whom are assumed to be coming before Z5 and Z50 successors and both with higher resolution sensors than the current models (30+mp and 61mp respectively) and shutters (again to keep the cost down) --BUT are definitely candidates for the flow down of Z9 tech into smaller and cheaper products.

For me the Z5 and Z50 play an important role in the Nikon line-up, but there has been confusion between the role the Z5 and Z6 play and the Z30 and Z50. Whether a Z5ii would still use a 24.1 MP FF-format and a Z50ii still use a 20.9 MP DX-format sensors then one has to ask about if they don't then why would Nikon make another direct competitor for the Z6iii and Z30. Perhaps there is a role for a Z60 or Z70 - a DX camera body with higher resolution than the Z50 (and Z30 etc) -- but not the monster D500 replacement with its pro-body and ultra high performance and high cost etc...

I do not expect a Z50 update until 2024 - at the earliest.

I think Nikon has to push faster the Z APSC sensor line. They sold in the past a multiple in APSC than in fullframe. I do not understand why they leave that field to Fuji.

Therefore I think they will push in 2023 and 2024 more DX models beside the Z6 and Z7 replacements.

I do not think that it will be the old 20MP sensor. But a D500 replacement does not need that much more, if you want have good high ISO results.

I do not know what kind of contracts Nikon still has to fullfill. If they still have not used yet all 20MP sensors they had to take, we will get some kind of DX camera with that sensor. But I do think they want to go at least to 24MP and order a quantity for economies of scale which only makes sense, if they use it in more than one camera model

The Fuji X-H2S has a 26MP stacked APC-S sensor and respectable specs for ~$2,500. I haven't seen or tried it, but Tom Hogan tested it and in his opinion the focus system, the menu structure and ergonomics still need some work, although it is a competent camera with good picture quality.
I have a D500 and if Nikon came up with something similar with focus capability and ergonomic equal to or better than the D500 I'd be very tempted.

On the other hand, since I have no intention of letting my D500 go and I have no full frame cameras, an alternative for me would be a future Nikon Full Frame mirrorless with a 60MP sensor. Incidentally, that pixel count on a full frame sensor would translate to 26MP in crop mode . The best of both worlds, at least for me!

Yeah, In my case since I'm not into "birding" or "wildlife" photography and have minimal use for really long lenses... so APS-C made sense. The quality was fine for my viewing needs and small bodies and primes were numerous.

Now, with mirrorless, the FF bodies are as small as APS-C and the lenses nearly so. The size advantage has been eliminated, and even the price difference given the relatively decent specs of the Z5. In Nikon's case it makes it hard for me to see much advantage for small dedicated DX lenses (although I enjoy my Zfc w 16-50 kit zoom). Maybe one high spec body, but I bet it isn't a priority, and if it's really "high spec" it will no doubt be on the expensive side.

Personally, I'm not in the market for more mp's than the D500, Z50 or Zfc. I do still have two Nikon 24mp DX bodies, and personally feel the 21mp is easily superior to the 24mp. I just don't have much if any need for more mp's. I do think the Zfc is an upgrade over the Z50, so maybe it's the D500 replacement.

Personally, I'm not in the market for more mp's than the D500, Z50 or Zfc. I do still have two Nikon 24mp DX bodies, and personally feel the 21mp is easily superior to the 24mp. I just don't have much if any need for more mp's. I do think the Zfc is an upgrade over the Z50, so maybe it's the D500 replacement.
It is true that more MPs are not always necessary (depending on your type and style of photography).

However, there is more to newer sensors than just higher MPs count, for example stacking. Over the years we have gone from "plain" CMOS sensors (in the very early days inferior to CCD), to BSI CMOS to Stacked CMOS.

This has allowed better low light performance, faster read (higher fps) and now with mirrorless more accurate focus, while increasing MPs.

As I mentioned previously, I'd be very happy if Nikon came up with a APS-C mirrorless in the same class as the D500, with a stacked 26MP or so sensor, similar to the one used by Fuji.

In my opinion, going overboard with MPs in a APS-C sensor may get you quickly to a point of diminishing return, with compromises in low light and fps performance.

Agree, also as another point, the Zfc seems to easily produce better iq than the dslr's with more mp's with the same exact lens on each.

Back