DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

> Just thinking aloud here. I do not have any source or any gossip, this is my feeling only. The ND was sometimes bitterly discussed and Contax wasn't getting the return on investment that they needed. This is regardless of the fact that some users found the key to making this camera do magical things. So, if I were Contax, maybe I would say to myself .. "If we restructure this camera and fix the bugs and lower the price we will have many people crying about the fact that they paid so much more and got so much less" .... so ... .the smart thing to do would be to drop the difficult product (difficult in terms of response from the public) and introduce a new digital camera that stands separately from the ND. It could have a different price point, and contain all the fixes, yet I doubt that the buyers of the ND would be able to complain about such a completely new release. So, again this is me thinking aloud I have no facts nor gossip to go on, but I wonder if a new digital in the pro line will be coming. It would be a smart thing to do. I hope they do it. (Personally, I'd like to see something the size of the G2 or G1 with interchangeable lenses of that size too, but that's MY dream). -Lynn L.

Michael Hahn, I'm perplexed by the results you got shooting daytime fill flash. I get entirely different results both from the ND and the new TVS digital.

I'll post some images on the regular gallery to show what I mean (the post name is fotografz).

Marc, I figured that in auto mode fill flash is just fine (well, almost). Also, excellent and very easily reproducible results are achieved with auto flash in Tv mode.

I spoke with Laurie McGuinnis the other day, and she said that Kyocera indeed stopped ND production, but it was a planned action consistent with what other digital SLR manufacturers are doing. She mentioned that there is something in the works now, but she could not be specific yet.

> Marc,

I looked at your fill flash ex&le ... the "Father's Day". Nice shot. I think I can still see evidence of your flash, but you did alot better job then I did. As I explained in my ISO analysis at www.outbackcoyote.com I did a poor job of correctly balancing the fill flash shot. You can see in my shot that the Metz flash, while set at -1 EC was still not set down enough to properly be "fill flash". (or it was set down enough ... just not properly metered!) It really acted more like a regular flash as evidenced by the strong shadow thrown to the right of the chair. The shot had a chance of being sucessful if the shot was entirely done in the daylight, but as it was shot in a combination of daylight/shade, I incorrectly balanced the shot to the sunlight ... not to the shade! I can only blame my haste in taking the shots in ten minutes due to the Hot, Hot, Texas day and a very sweaty (but sweet) model!

I will find in my archive a better ex&le of my "fill flash" technique this weekend and upload the image! Although, I readily admit that I have trouble with any digital flash shots (Canon G1, Contax ND) just getting the "hot spots" to not wash out!

Michael.

Back