Lens hood vignetting on Zeiss 28mm

G

I just bought a g2 with a 28mm Biogon and am tickled pick with its performance on the first roll. No focusing problems in any mode (I read the manual first).
Q. If I put a lens hood (collapsible rubber) on 28mm, it vignettes about 15-20% of viewfinder screen in lower right corner. Will this adversely affect the auto focus IR system or anything else? Leave tomorrow for Capetown, so don't want to take any chances on using it.

Advice please.

G

I have a G1 with 28mm Biogon and use the metal contax hood designed for that lens. No vignetting problems.

John

G

Why don't you use the regular metal hood that comes with the lens? As far as I know, it does come with the lens. And check it. It is very small, probably smaller than you rubber model. The only time I had vignetting problem with my 28 mm was when I inadvertently put on the 45 mm hood, after switiching filters and so on !

G

Sadly the screw in metal hood is NOT included with the lens. It is an optional accessory, as well as the appendant metal cap (GK-54).

And even though they are both well made, they are absurdly pricey.

Nevertheless, I use them. :)

I can not recommend using the hood with the standard plastic cap (GK-41). You will allways have to mount and dismount the hood.
The metal cap fits over the hood, so you can leave it on.

G

Hi all,
I recently bought the 90mm Sonnar and the optional metal hood AND the metal cap! I 'd have thought the cap should be included with the hood and not sold separately! Anyway, with the hood/cap on the lens, it sure does look smart!

G

They are listed on eBay from time to time at more reasonable prices. You just have to keep looking and make sure you don't get caught up in the "auction fever" and pay more that you can get them at B&H or Adorama, new or used.
Harbert

G

John,

IMHO the 90mm should have come with a built-in hood. Since you can put = it reversely over the lens, it would have been possible.

Probably same about the 45mm.

G

True if anyone wants a good deal I've found the hood caps for $18 and the hoods for $24 at deltainternational.com - they are a grey market import company - check them out if you really want the hoods and caps. I find that the contax stuff really works well on the lenses. BTW - according to contaxg.com the hoods are designed to work in conjunction with a contax UV filter for the "proper" specifications of the lens/hood.

G

I also have a 28 mm Biogon with the GG-1 Contax Hood. And unlike John H. Luxton's hood mine IS vignetting. I do not know how it can be possible that John H. Luxton does not have vignetting problems but if you buy Contax original hoods (which are absurdly expensive) you'll get a hood that vignettes. The same is true for the 45 mm with the GG-2 hood on short distances.

Marc-paul

G

Strange! I have a G2 and 28mm with GG-1 and 45mm with GG-2 and I have never had vignetting. Are we talking about two different things? The hood may be visible in the lower right of the viewfinder, but the photos have no vignetting and the exposure meter is unaffected.

Peter

G

Peter,

You are right: I am not very clear. Reason for this is my limited English knowledge. I am sorry for the inconveniance.

What I meant to say is that when using the hoods on the 28/45 mm the hood is vignetting THE VIEWFINDER as desribed. It is NOT vignetting the picture frame.

Sorry again,

Marc-paul

G

Interesting topic. Recently, I shoot a roll of film with G2 and some pictures have vegnetting. I have found out that I was using 28mm lens with Contax lenshood for 45mm lens and with a filter. When I romoved the filter and continued to use the wrong lenshood on 28mm, vegnetting was gone. I think the important thing is not to use filter with the wrong hood.

I remenber sometimes ago, I used a polarising filter on a 28mm lens of my Olympus SLR, I got darked corners on some pictures.