DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Minilux II wish List

Technically I think that you've got the Minilux ll pretty well covered. Thank you, and I hope that Leica is reading this.
All I would add is I'd like the flash setting to be 'sticky' like the EV setting already is. If I set the flash to how I want it (off) and then switch the camera off and back on again later I still want the flash like I left it.
Also rethink the red light green light thing. They carry too much information and are not easily remembered. I onlly use my camera from time to time and I always need to check in the book just what those lights mean!
Cosmetics and marketing: sell it direct over the internet and in a range of colors: titanium, black, old worn black, safari green, dark blue... and with a range of grips: black leather, black rubber, clear 'rubber'... and encourage people to mix and match. Of course shops could order cameras for stock in color combinations they thought they could sell - just like garages pre-order cars in popular specifications.
Offer laser engraving like Apple does with the iPod. People might like their name tastefully engraved, or if the camera was a gift the giver might engrave 'Happy 21st Birthday' or whatever.
Offer brand name deletion. No 'Leica' in big white letters on the front. Just like BMW does with its cars. I see that Henri C-B has blacked-out the white writing on his Minilux.
USB connection to databack. Set the date and time via your computer and just have a simple on/off switch on the databack. And while we're at it add a caption from your computer too. Maybe we'd write 'Vacation, Paris 2003' or 'Fujichrome 100 Film Test'...
Offer downloadable additional programs. So you could have the standard program in your camera and download from Leica a 'Sports' program or 'Available Light' program and switch between the standard and the alternative programs.
Leica should make a community of loyal clients like Apple or Lexus do by 'going the extra mile'. If the camera needs repair or service send a loan camera with film. Any film manufacturer would jump at the chance. Send customers little presents from time time, a cleaning cloth, a mouse mat, a pen...

Just heard some (hopefully reliable) speculation on photo.net that Leica may introduce a new Minilux. If this is true, lets hope they have incorporated several of the above modifications.
I'm already deciding which existing gear to sell.

Indeed, Leica CM is coming! A 2,4/40 mm P&S, similar to the M-Series, with either manual and program mode. Probably it's the objecitv from the Minilux.

Look at http://www.foto-contact.de/meldung.htm$N12576, where there's also a picture. Leica themself don't tell anything on their website up to now.

It doesn't mention any changes. It does say something about being their first point n'shoot made in Germany. Not sure if my translator was very accurate, but it seems like a Minilux with a very light facelift. The viewfinder and sensors are now visable rather than being blacked-out, more like the T3.

Did Leica read my Jan 2003 post (above) and take some of my ideas for Leica a la Carte?

I think they did!

Recognition in the form of an a la carte MP would be very nice...

Recognition in the form of an a la carte MP would be very nice...

It sure would.

Most of my direct contributions to manufactures and government agencies were stolen or subverted.

Good Luck to you.

Gilbert

Back