DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX CY lenses on Canon EOS Bodies

Ken, it has been quite awhile since you posted your thread and I hope that I can still be a help here. If not perhaps other folks who would like to venture into using some of the most magnificent Zeiss lens such as the S-Planar 60mm F2.8, Distagon PC 35mm F2.8, Makro-Planar 100mm F2.8, Planar 100mm F2.0, Planar 55mm F1.2 100th Anniversary, Planar 85mm F1.2 50th and 60th Anniversary, Planar 135mm F2.0, Aposonnar 200mm F2.8, Aposonnar 350mm F2.8. These are the lens that will give you problem with the longer fin on the rear mount. One of the way to allievate the problem is to use an adapter that was meant for the Planar and Sonnar lens where the adapter is not as thin as the one that you would put on your Distagon and F-Distagon wide angle lens. Second, once you have the proper adapter and you prefer to keep the fin intact without modification (I prefer this method since my lens is what I keep and my DSLR is what I change every 2 years) you can mount the these lens on your Canon 1 series DSLRs. It will only yield a slight abrassion on the outside of the mirror box. The abrassion is slight and it does not come into contact with any electronic pins thus there is no harm to the camera. These lens will not cause any scratch to the Canon Rebel XT, Rebel, 20D.

-Son

Hey, I don't think there is a 100th Anniversay 55 1.2 for Contax, unless Zeiss managed to find a partner in the future to make Contax again. My 50 Ani 85 1.2 was made in 1985, which suggest 100 Ani is 2035.

HFT is the same as T*, just different names for the same thing.

There is none 100th Anniversary for the Planar 85mm F1.2 but there is for the 55mm F1.2 Planar 100th Anniversary.

-Son

Son,

Thanks but I never realise there are adaptors made specifically for attaching Planar and Sonnar lenses and other adaptors for the wide-angles. Wouldn't a thicker mount on these adaptors create problems when focus to infinity as the mount to film plane distance is increased?

Thanks
Ken

Kenneth Ho,
The Contax Carl Zeiss lens are not all built the same. The Planar, Tele-Tessar, and Tele-Sonnar Zeiss lens don't need the super thin adapter to get to infinity as compare to the Super Wide (SWA) and Wide Angle (WA) Zeiss Distagon lens. Thus, to attenuate or reduce the scratching of the Canon 1 series Digital SLR cameras mirror box when mounting the special Zeiss lens with long fin (Planar 55mm F1.2, 85mm F1.2 and 135mm F2.0 Anniversary, S-Planar 60mm F2.8 and Makro-Planar 100mm F2.8 macro lens, Planar 100mm F2.0 and 135mm F2.0 and the Aposonnar 200mm F2.0} I designed a thicker adapter than my adapter for the wide and super wide angle Distagon. As you know I will not shave any fin off on my Zeiss collection lens and all of these special Zeiss lens with the long fin are legendary in term of optical performance. The digital camera can be replaced with better one every 2 years but my Zeiss lens cannot be replaced especially now they are all discontinued and the service for them are also going to be discontinued as well. I love my Contax Carl Zeiss lens and had them for such a long time since the beginning of my photography that I went to the extent of building my own adapters that will allow infinity focus and tight fit without any loose play when you mount them onto your camera. I made two populations of adapters one for the Planar series including the Sonnar and Tessar and one for the Distagon series that allow infinity focusing including the most difficult one which is the Distagon 15mm F3.5. If you want more information you can email me at MinhSon@ComCast.Net

-Son

Back