DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Contax Digital

Here's some reassuring info. In the official Photokina 2004 roster, under Yashica Kyocera Gmbh, the short list of products includes the following:

- Digital viewfinder cameras
- Digital SLR cameras
- Compact cameras
- Medium format cameras
- Single lens reflex cameras

To me, Digital SLR cameras imply an ND II, as the only other possibility would be the 645, and that's not a digital SLR out of the Kyocera gate.

Any thoughts?

Can't wait to see what materialises but I would love to be able to use my existing CY mount and G lenses with digital. I can't see it happening though and I love the collection of lenses I have expensively built up over the years and I do not want to ditch them.
John
uhoh.gif

Arggh!! Just as I am getting ready to sell most if not all of my N, C/Y SLR, G, and T cameras and lenses, Contax may be coming up with something that might (or might not) work with my N lenses or possibly (not likely) with my MM lenses. Keep me informed. You can reach me at the Contax Home for Deranged Users here in California. I will be checking in shortly.

I am new to correspondence in this forum.

I have a Contax 645 with a Kodak DCS back and it is essentially unbelievable. The Vario Sonnar 45-90 weighs a lot but is phenomenal in both color tonality and resolution. The DCS back can resolve at an amazing level.

I recently acquired a Canon EOS 1-DS and have used Zoerk adapters to mount a c/y 28-85 and an old Leica Visoflex 90 Summicron. The results have been absolutely stunning. Before you decide you must choose to sell your old Zeiss lenses, at least give this option some consideration.

I acquired the Canon in order to be able to use long lenses without getting a hernia. The ability to use Zeiss MM and AE lenses, Leica R and Visoflex lenses, and Nikon lenses, has turned out to be a real treat.

Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

I am just wondering... with the 1Ds, I am sure it is a treat being able to use Zeiss and Leica Lenses. But, do you find yourself use the Canon lenses more? If so, how do you like Canon lenses? I have been playing with the 10d with the 16-35 and 24-70 L glasses. I found the 16-35 is a dog with the 10d. The 24-70 is good but does not have the same quality and feel with my N and 645 lenses.

For the past 6 months, I have been shooting almost exclusively with my C645 + 45-90 zoom in chromes. The result was very satisfying. I used my ND as Polaroid. Later with the introduction of Photoshop CS raw developer for Contax, I shot the ND more and try to learn the digital processing more. Now I found my ND is absolutely great in studio when I shot with the C645 80mm f/2 lens. I shot with the C645 as back up. For the last model shoot. I didn't even bother to develop the C645 chromes and negs since I was so happy with my ND raw images.

I have been thinking to get a 1DS and buy one if there is a 1DS mark II announce in the upcoming Photokina. The ND just does not work well for event and long exposure, or hi ISO. But the Zeiss lenses keep me to stay on the Contax line. If there is a ND II coming, I would be a very happy man.

For the price of the IDS and the expense for getting L glasses, digital back for the C645 is not a bad option for me. I am use to the size and weight, and I think the C645 + 45-90 zoom combo is a great. I can shoot films and digital at the same time. Too bad Kodak drops the 645 digital backs but there are so many option out there now. Most of them are out of my reach pricewise though.

Hi Stan,
I must check if there is a Contax Home for Deranged Users here in the UK. I guess I could use it as a refuge at times!
John

I really, really hope there's a new ND at Photokina. If there isn't, it's an EOS 1Ds for me, but I'm an N-mount zoom lover and after reading Fred Miranda's review of the Canon 24-70 2.8L, I'm not looking forward to it.

My N 24-85 works marvelously in flare-inducing situations, giving nice contrast outside the actual flared region, which in itself is really well controlled. Not so the Canon, and these are the kinds of shots I like.

Using the C/Y zooms in manual focus with an adapter might be a nice alternative if I do decide to go the 1Ds way. I used to own the 35-135 with my RTS III and I loved it. Other than the manual focusing, are there any other drawbacks when using the C/Y lenses on the Canon?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. How I wish I could use the N lenses on the EOS! But I hope I'm premature in my pesimism
happy.gif

DJ

This problem of the C/Y lenses scratching the 10D body is true. I see scratch marks on my 10D body, which was obviously caused by the Zeiss lenses' shark's fin! Fortunately the damage is not significant and it will not discourage me from using my Zeiss lenses on the 10D, but you do have to check, as I understand the size of the "shark fin" is different on different Zeiss lenses - meaning some will cause more damage than others.

Back