DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Any comment and detailed analysis on 21f4 vs 2134 SA

patrickngai

<font face="times new roman,times,roman">
I am new in here.

As title, any idea and detailed info about these two lens and their comparison? I soon have to make a decision to buy either one.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Patrick!
Check this out...
http://www.leica-camera.com/imperia/md/content/pdf/msystem/49.pdf
it has always been helpfull to me.
Vinicio
talker.gif

I had both lenses: 3.4 is a new world but very sensitive in strong light in the pictures.
The "SMALL" 4.0 with the common 39E filters is acceptable from 8.0 - if You can buy one 4/21 - take it and think about the limits...
The 3.4/21 is i.m.o. more "modern" in sharpness and contrast.

Regards,
Gislher.

Spitzer,

Is that pessimistic that the f4 lens has to stop down to f8 for acceptable result? What's the problem if it's wide open? any photo ex&le? (I am in the edge of bidding one)

IYO, overall winner is f3.4, right? How does it compare to old 21/2.8 or latest 21/2.8 asph?

Patrick

Patrick, Yes, the 21mm f/3.4 is superior to the older f/4 lens. I'va had the same 21mm f/3.4 since 1968 and have a 21mm f/2.8 for well over 20 years. I use the f/3.4 lens for black & white only. It vignettes and the effect looks dramatic in B&W. The 21mm f/2.8 I use basically for color. It has much less vignetting and is a half stop faster. While on an optical bench the 21 asph is better, in practical photography you can't see it. My main reason for getting a 21 asph is the 55mm filter size. Did you ever try to find a 60mm CC30M filter. Happy Snaps, Sal

Sal, wow, you have everything! all versions! I am impressed. I still prefer 21/3.4 SA to 21/2.8. Hopefully, I can get a good deal. I barely can afford a user lens.

Dear Sal,

The E60 CC30M filter is available from B+W (Schneider) to special order.

Regards,

Justin

Back