DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

DJ, are you sure that's how it works? I was under the impression that some of those higher X cards won't even work in some cameras unless they are WA enabled. As evidence of this, many digital camera manuals specifically list the supported media and I have a 24X CF card that will not function in my Kodak Back. Clarification of this would be appreciated, especially concerning the ND.

Irakly, sure my friend anytime, bring over your G2 and well pop off a few RAW shots and process them. I have to test my D1-X anyway.

Marc,

That's what I quoted from the press release. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. But from a marketing perspective, it would make little sense to put out a product that would have such a limited market, so I'm confident the statement I quoted is probably true. I have had no problem with the 512MB X24, which runs almost twice as fast as my standard Sandisk 128.

DJ

ALERT !

A fairly reliable second party rumour has it that Contax will be announcing a new N based Digital at the Las Vegas show.

Anyone else heard anything about such a development?

I will be there, so may be i can see it first hand. if they will not = make an attempt to fix the current n, i will abandon contax. at least the software, the buffer needs upgrading and i can live with the power = problem=20

A new N based digital... hmm - let's think. What could that be?
Just making a "better" version of the currend ND (more buffer, better software, battery pack) would not only be useless but also make all current ND owners feel hosed.
If I was Kyocera, I would either bring a faster version with less resolution (like the Nikon D1H vs. D1X) or a clear shot at the 10+ MP competition.
But what's in it for current ND users? At least a better software package and maybe even a high power battery pack because this is a prerequisite for both directions.

But that's all speculation...

Speaking about the software: The Philips sensor in the ND is used in many digi backs (Sinar for sure, to my knowledge also Leaf and Phase One in their 6MP backs). Does anyone of you have the software for these to run a test?

And: Are there any news from Adobe on the plug in?

> A new N based digital... hmm - let's think. What could that be? > Just making a "better" version of the current ND (more buffer, better > software, battery pack) would not only be useless but also make all > current ND owners feel hosed.

I completely disagree that current users would/should feel "hosed". What on earth do you expect? For Contax to ONLY sell the current, behind the technology curve, camera? Talk about death to Contax!

They have to sell cameras, and they have to sell cameras that are competitive...or no one will buy them. Competitive can be from a technology standpoint, a cost standpoint or a host of other standpoints, but the bottom line is, the current ND is not competitive from either a price of technology standpoint.

People bought them of their own free will, and FULL WELL knowing that the technology moves VERY fast. It's like believing that anyone who took up smoking cigarettes in the past 20+ years didn't know that cigarettes cause cancer.

Regards,

Austin

Christian, I am going to get a CD with the plug-in along with a press kit from Adobe on Tuesday. I am going to write a review article on it, and you can be sure that compatibility with Contax N Digital will be one of the key points of this review. I will send the review to Adobe Media Relations before publishing.

Irakly,

"I am going to write a review article on it, and you can be sure that compatibility with Contax N Digital will be one of the key points of this review.."

could you post this review also here?

I might open a new thread for this kind of software if the majority would like to have this. Or do you prefer to have it inside of the ND thread?

Dirk

While readung the Imaging Resources preliminary hands-on report on the Kodak Pro14n body, I couldn't help but smile from time to time.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS03/1046728010.html

Now what I'm really waiting for is Mehrdad's report after he talks with the Contax people at the PMA conference ...

In the meantime, anybody knows any reputable non-NY online retailers that have the 85/1.4 in stock at a competitive price? I'm trying to avoid paying tax at B&H, but I'm starting to get itchy <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•

Back