DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Since I also spend a lot of time in the wilds, I've learned to not rely on things electronic. Craing, it's unfortunate that you've not found an SL or SL2; aside from being very robust, the viewfinders of these cameras are exceptional.

I'm also intersted in an SL3. Update the SL2, replacing the CdS meter cell and mercury battery with modern components, and change to R metering cams, and I'll empty my piggy bank to buy a couple of them.

I have been fortunate enough to have had a play with an SL and SL2. Finding someone who will part with their Leicafex is another thing! For those who have never experienced the pleasure of a flex, don't go near them unless you are able to either steal or buy it. (purchase is the better option)

Thinking back it was around 9 years ago now, and I've never seen one since. The only cameras that come close to the M3 in my book. The R9 is a very nice camera and the VF is a great improvement on earlier Rs. But the camera isn't anywhere heavy enough and doesn't have that solid feel of the flexes.

My impression of the early 'R'lenses I used was that they were pretty special too.

Craig, actually the SL and SL2 show up routinely on eBay, and many american sellers will ship internationally. SLs go fron US $200 to 400, SL2 600-1000. Many people have said is the SL2 is not worth the extra cost over the SL. R6 and R6.2 seem to be much less common.
I bough an SL last year for US $225, and I am very happy to have it.

>Craig, which 'early R lenses' were you thinking of? Do you mean the ones >that were 'made in Germany'? I've got a 50mm f2 'made in Canada' but >otherwise all my lenses (bought in the late 1980s and early 1990s) were >made in Germany.

I entirely agree with what's being said here; I also have had some bad experience in Africa and Nepal with electronics.

The original question was about a second camera to support the Craig Smith's R9.... Unless his R lenses are all NON-ROM. They will NOT function on an SL or SL-2, which makes all this talk about them useless for him. If he wants backups there are plenty of R-cameras out there.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

My R lenses are all current 3 cam with one of my 50s being a Canadian cron.

Yes I was refering to the German made lenses in particular. All though I found some of the Minolta lenses were suprisingly good. Personally, I've found the Canadian build lenses don't produce the same quality charateristics as the German manufactured ones. That is not to say they are bad, just different to my eye anyway. I should add that I don't test gear and can not claim to be a reliable authority in these matters. My observations are based more on the impresion I get from the prints. By in large B+W with some Kodachrome.

The situation was that I had unfetted access to a rather nice Leica collection and could just about play with what I liked. Pretty well the only Leicas I have not had a chance to put film through are the M6TTL, R5 and R7, and 8 and '0'. This was different situation to subjectively evaluation the performance and handling of equipment.

The 'flex or not to flex' question is now a moot point as I am committed to the R6. Which does the job nicely. Because I come from a M3 and view camera background the metering compatibility of earlier cameras and newer lens doesn't faze me as my intincts are to go for the hand meter first.

Let face it, Leica is pretty well all good and relaible stuff. In the main Leicas are nicer to use than other brands, which I believe makes the photographer more comfortable with the equipment thus helping to inspire one to make better images.
When I pick up a Nikon FM2 or 3A I go ugh. My response to R4 R6 type cameras is mmm Ok, but the Leicaflexes, and the R9, make me go-yes lets do some work!!!

The main point is, and I think most would agree, that there is a market for a mech. SLR, and preferably one with a horizontal shutter travel.

craig

about 8 months ago, i exchanged a brandnew nikon fm3a + 5 lenses for a used R6 + summicron 2/50.
been livin' in bliss eversince...

thank you Oscar Barnack, wherever you are...!

> about 8 months ago, i exchanged a brandnew nikon fm3a + 5 lenses for a > used R6 + summicron 2/50. > been livin' in bliss eversince... > > About 6 months ago I bought an R8 and a couple of zooms - 28-70 and 80-200, and I have been exceptionally happy with the optics. In fact, both of those zooms are the BEST I have ever used (My other SLR line is Olympus, which has only one _really_ good zoom). BUT, I have had mixed feelings about the R8; it gets finicky from time to time, stops showing information in the VF, stops showing exposure numbers on the back, sometimes stops working until I turn it off and then back on. Maybe I should have gotten an R6 after all... but then, I do like Aperture priority AE which the R6 is lacking.

Thanks for your post, it makes me think, hmm, R6?

- marc

I recently picked up a nice looking R6 as a back up mechanical unit for R9. I am suppringly impressed with it

Back