DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Setting G2 as a point and shoot

rob_l

I've read the manual, but some parts are rather oblique..

Is there a way to set the the camera to true point and shoot type of mode? IE- you set the aperture, speed, focus distance and it stays there without changing through multiple exposures, so you can use it on the street and "shoot from the hip" so to speak. I realise this negates all the technology on this
camera, and I probably would rarely use this if ever, but I was just wondering.

Robert:

<I've read the manual, but some parts are rather oblique.>

Yes

Set the aperture and then lock the exposure with the AEL and set a manual focus distance.

Regards

Gilbert

The answer is no. The closest this camera comes to being P&S is in it's "auto" AP mode. You set the aperature and the camera sets the shutter speed. Best Ican tell you is to keep track of your EV andmake sure the camera is always set to an f stop that will allow you to shoot handheld without a tripod. My Nikon's have what you are referring to. It's called "Program" mode. I never use it.

I guess we all have different ways to do it. But in thecase of locking the AEL, what do you do if the EV changes?

EV change

Of course this method of shooting has always had its limitations.

The old timers (artists) would set the camera for the ambient conditions and shoot, it something changes the conditions during exposure they just had to live with it and/or make adjustments. Of course, auto exposure has its limitations as well.

I have preset my cameras for years e.g. using sunny 16 rule, or a light reading, and hyperfocal focus. That way my manual camera was ready to work.

With the G2 of course you could just set a focus distance and let the camera set the exposure.

Regards

Gilbert
P. S. it is also fun to do.

For street photography: Why be so complicated? Before you attempt complete P&S capabilities, just set your aperture and set to CAF and lift and shoot. If you want to be discreet, mount a 28mm, hang it around your neck, run an electronic shutter release up your coat arm and shoot without bringing the camera to your eye. Its almost always worked for me.

or you could also put it on MF so that you know where the focus is approximately? If you aren't raising it to your eye, then CAF might not get the subject if it out of the focusing spot. Scott

"Before you attempt complete P&S capabilities, just set your aperture and set to CAF and lift and shoot"

This is more or less what I said. Why worry about locking in a shutter speed? Unless of course you are using an incident light meter.

Back