DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 645 Myths & Misconceptions

G

A few weeks ago I posted an open question, does anyone have a 645 that suffers from the widely reported 2 or 3 second start-up delay when there's actually film in the camera? No one has answered to say they have, so it seems this is a 645 myth based on playing with the camera without film in the magazine. I guess the start-up delay is something to do with the camera searching for film to load, as even without film there's no delay if the back is removed or left open.

I remember some other postings from a few months ago suggesting you had to adjust the dioptre setting every time you changed lens, and that this was referenced in the instruction manual. I can't find any such reference in my copy of the manual, and it seems an implausible idea. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

By the way, it's not a very flattering reflection on Contax that they allow misconceptions such as start-up delays to circulate. I'd have hoped they would have monitored sites such as this and even if they didn't want to comment directly "planted" a non-attributable source to set the record straight.

Gary, contax doesn't have time to deal with the real problems of their customers, let alone the made up ones.

As to the diopter issue...just thinking it through brings the answer into sharp focus. You are changing the diopter setting to bring the focusing screen into focus, not the lens. Unless the focusing screen is moving up and down (which it doesn't) then it matters not which lens is on the camera. In fact no lens need even be on the camera to set the diopter for your eyes

I would in fact suggest that no lens be attached when setting the dioptre adjustment. Just point the camera body to the sky.
Leica, in their instruction book for the R suggests no lens.
The only time you need to readjust is if you set the adjustment with your glasses off and you wish to shoot with them on (or vice versa)
Colin

Gary,
why dont you call Contax 01189 356300 and they will answer your questions. I have done this and found them very helpful, there Sales Manager called me in person and I have seen other listings where his name is mentioned helping others, I think the case may be different outside the UK. My 645 only has the delay without film as it is searching at the start, and to speed the focus up Contax told me to leave the focus in M. and use the focus button so when you fire the shutter there is no delay for the camera to focus.
The Beattie screens are available from Morco in Newark so are to order he only keeps the popular ones.

Bob

Forgot to comment on dioptre ajustment but no need to do with each lens. You can even set it up by setting it against the display for the meter bit I thought you always used the lens set at infinity and then set the ajustment.

Bob

My complaint is the widely "rumoured" energy saving mode. The camera will not function with finger on trigger because the system shuts down after 15 secs. Ie. shutter won't fire until system powers up again.

I found this to be the case with the first film I shot and nothing has changed. I also use the power grip, which houses AA cells, the new "rumour" is that using this power source negates the delay. I have found this not to be the case. I always use the camera with AF set to manual and jab the button to focus as this REALLY helps battery drain. Also, pushing this button doesn't always awaken the camera.

Simply, my 645 has had the delay since new and still has it. This is NOT the delay when no film is loaded.

John,

Looks like you need to have you C645 body checked. The camera will turn off the power after 16 secs. However, it can be re-activated by press any buttons including the focus button and fire the shutter virtually instantly. It is also the same as with the MP-1 battery grip. However, you need to turn on the main switch on in the battery grip (which shows the red dot) in order to wake up the body. Again, with the MP-1, you can wake the body up by pressing either the shutter release button or the focus button.

My camera is relatively new. But some of the other photographers than I know have been using the C645 for over two years without any so call delay problem.

My camera finally died just before christmas, ( shutter speeed displaying EEEE in Vf ). I had it replaced overnight by Kyocera UK. I have been using the replacement since and can report that it is an entirely different beast. No COMPLETE shutdown after 15 secs. Reactivation when I push the focus button, or meter.

I just done a wedding and shot 9 films, still on the 2nd battery since I received it, and I am using it much more than the last. This machine is exactly as it should be, I hate to think that there is a problem with the quality control on the circuits in these cameras, I prefer to think that I had a one off.

Back