DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First photos through an Orion 90mm Ø 1250mm Focal Length Maksutov Cassegrain

It's great to see this kind of experimentation and shooting to find the sweet spot for that big lens! This is very interesting, and I am impressed with your innovative style!

Laurence

I like birds too

Hi, Since we don't have many large birds around here I like to intice some small cute ones into range (500mm lens).

Attachments

• SDIM8642_1200.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM8642_1200.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 10
  • SDIM8693_1200.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM8693_1200.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 11
To get the Birds to come to you, put up a Bird feeder.

For the species that you want to photograph, find out what they eat and also look into what sort of nest box would entice them to raise a family in your yard.
Another thing you can try is setting up a shallow garden pond, 1 to 2 inches ( 2 to 4 cm ) at it's deepest.

Depending on how comfortable the Birds are, you may be able to get close enough with out a hide, or you can set up a hide in your yard. Then wait for the Birds to perch in an aesthetic pose and take your photos.

Remember, you will have to take a lot of photos just to get a few good ones.

The two disk DVD set, "Go Wild with your Camera" focuses on UK wild life photography, but the information they provide applies everywhere. For anyone with experience, these may be a bit on the basic side, but it's still has a lot of good "How to" information:

http://www.gowildtv.com/

Hi, I use a couple feeders and suet too. I don't use a blind, actually I use the house. I set up a place for the birds with plenty of branches, a shallow sause pan (1 1/2 in depth) for water about 20ft from a window. I set up the camera just inside the house and open the window. I also like to use flash with the evening sun behind the birds for backlight, a nice effect.

Hi Short,

very nice shots indeed! :z02_respekt:

It is always difficult to assess .... only the photographer himself can do....

Are the colours realistic this way? It looks like a little green cast to me?

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Hi, I'm not sure, I kinda have problem with colors, especially tints. I can say though the stalks they are on are from a patch of sunflowers about 5ft deep and 8-10ft long set up beside my feeders with backlight (evening sun) and flash. But then sometimes the SD14 can have a green cast as the SD10 had a yellow.
Oh ... uh ... ....gee ... must be sunlight softly filtering though the sunflowers leaves that are gently swaying in a cool fall evening as birds sing about the summer that is oh so slowly fading in a blaze of magnificent fall colors and the long journey to come into a warmer climate.:proud:
Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself, I do so love a good chuckle .... I figure it's that I don't see colors so well and can't process correctly ......

Short,

If your color vision is different than what's considered the norm, then you simply see things differently. It has nothing to do with how well or a level of fitness.

Have you looked into using a color reference card, such as the 24 patch color and grey scale cards produced by xrite.com ?

Even if your interpretation of the card's hues are unique, you may be able to use it as a guide to bring your photographs to a more natural balance, where anyone looking at your photos would see an image close to how they would see the exact scene in real life with their own eyes.

A useful feature of SPP is the eye dropper which sets the neutral grey or white point of an image. Just shoot an image with the color checker in the field of view. Then use the same light conditions to shoot your Bird photos. In SPP, open the image which includes the color checker and click the eye dropper on the white or grey color patches to set a white point. When you open later images, you can use this sampled white point to set the color balance.

I hope this helps.

Hi, Rick!

I feel your pain! I also have some shortcomings when it comes to "seeing" colour. As Steaphaney suggests, sometimes a colour checker is the way to go. I use the one I received as part of my Microtek scanner kit years ago, made by Kodak.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Back